Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

So not really a Trail more of a Driveway Tale.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good,to,hear. How was it covered home or vehicle? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 02-03-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Awesome glad you have your rig back
Old 02-05-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JRJKUS
Good,to,hear. How was it covered home or vehicle? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
It was covered by the vehicle side. I'm still really surprised they covered it.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its hard to believe all that water came in through the snorkel. But I'm a strong believer in anything can happen. I'v been in water that came over the hood at times and never had a problem with the same snorkel. When hurricanes hit here I can sleep well knowing my Jeep is a Garage Queen. Looks like I'm going to purchase that RR pre-filer sooner than expected.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Would you mind explaining how you believe the water got into your engine? And what brand snorkel (on phone, so can't see profile)? Any thoughts on preventing recurrence?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Would you mind explaining how you believe the water got into your engine? And what brand snorkel (on phone, so can't see profile)? Any thoughts on preventing recurrence?
looks like a rugged ridge snorkel... the air box is full of water.... I'm thinking that the thought is that the wind blew the rain into the snorkel while it sat, with the drain plugged and shut, the water had no way to escape and so it filled the air box and ran into the intake hose... the snorkel has the "ram" style forward facing opening on top.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup

looks like a rugged ridge snorkel... the air box is full of water.... I'm thinking that the thought is that the wind blew the rain into the snorkel while it sat, with the drain plugged and shut, the water had no way to escape and so it filled the air box and ran into the intake hose... the snorkel has the "ram" style forward facing opening on top.
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking. But interested in hearing OP's thoughts. Wondering if he might mention air-particle separator as preventative, or does he believe driving sucked water in.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Thats what I was thinking. A 1 gallon ziplock bag and a Rubber-band over the snorkel would have prevented this. Or you could have left the drain screw open during the storm.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
... A 1 gallon ziplock bag and a Rubber-band over the snorkel would have prevented this. Or you could have left the drain screw open during the storm.
In OP's case it appears leaving the drains screw open wouldn't have helped. From his description, it seems the drain was plugged, but he didn't catch it until too late.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Default Really late but... well just really late.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
So, Six months later. Sorry I work full time, taking college classes... don't keep up with the jeep stuff to well these days.

To start the snorkel is the Rugged Ridge modular, which I've had since the Christmas after it was released, and I had the ram air top on at the time, and didn't want to mention the brand since it's not their fault, and they have always treated me right, it was me not noticing an issue combined with huge volumes of rain in a very short time. We had two days with more than 10 inches of rain that followed a couple with 3+ a day. I did open the drain during those days and water came out. Not much water came out which at the time impressed me, thinking "wow, this thing is really not catching as much as I'd thought it would".

The night before and morning of my hydro-lock the wind was blowing hard from the west, head on with my jeep, while we were getting in the neighborhood of 16" of rain, per local reports, and those things combined with the previous couple days of driving in heavy, but not 16" heavy, rain just filled the whole system up. In retrospect, and while not freaking out about my jeep, it seems likely that the clog in the drain line was the biggest issue. I may have noticed if I hadn't been trying to drain the thing out in the rain, but who knows.

I have considered leaving the drain open except when I'm off road, but I haven't done that.

For now my solution is the low mount intake that is flat topped with the 90 degree turn down for intake. The prefilter is on my list for sure now, never was before. I've also considered putting the stock air box back and just running the snorkel for looks, but that seems like a less reasonable idea the farther I get from my freaking out about my Jeep. I've also considered drilling holes on the back side of the Ram style top to allow water to run out the back, or just facing the intake to the rear of the Jeep. Not sure either would help though, it was just kind of a freak thing, bad luck.

Still haven't found anyone else with this issue, regardless of who's snorkel they run.

Last edited by nikbass; 08-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: So not really a Trail more of a Driveway Tale.