Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Sway Bar and Lockers

Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar and Lockers

Hello, so I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and it comes with front and rear lockers, sway bar and traction control. Now when off-roading what are some situations that I would need lockers and sway bar. Traction control I have down and have used the rear lockers when climbing up muddy hills and it gets slick. But could someone help me with other examples and the uses for both. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the swaybar disconnect is to keep the wheels on the ground. if you are rock crawling or on very uneven trails the swaybar lets the wheels "drop" to stay in contact with the ground. If your wheel isn't touching the ground you have no traction. Depending on how much traction you need you may need to lock (first the rear then the front) the diffs. Last weekend I was climbing a steep hill and all 4 were spinning trying to grab. Deep mud will need all 4 "locked" as well.

Perhaps these videos will help.

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/trail-rated/

Quick Reply: Sway Bar and Lockers