Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Are there any Trials in Big Bend?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any Trials in Big Bend?

I am going this Thanksgiving to Big Bend National Park to camp and site see. I wanna know are their any trails to ride? and what level of experience do you need? what all does my Jeep need to be adequately equipped? It is 12 hours away from me so I wanna make sure I have everything I need. I can't just go home and get what I need. I would appreciate any insight. I have only done small trails.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Check out my videos on YouTube--DigitalByDoiron--Big Bend, October 2012; and West Texas Ramble, December 2013. If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send you GPS tracks. Most trails are 2WD dirt roads, but weather can quickly make travel difficult to impossible even with 4WD. Big Bend Ranch State Park is especially hard on tires--they recommend carrying two spares. Don't travel alone unless to the most popular areas. Last week we stumbled on a fellow hiking out on River Road in the national park because his JK had a flat, his spare had a ripped sidewall, and his can of Fix-a-Flat didn't fix the flat. Big Bend is not for the lone traveler. We found mountain lion tracks at two popular spots: Santa Elena Canyon and Contrabando, last week. On North County Road, another traveler became mired while fording Terlingua Creek--we winched him out. The dirt roads are deceivingly easy--until they aren't! Beautiful area--you'll love the solitude.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Oh really, I was looking Old Ore Road and Black Gap Road from their website. Now are those two trails rough on the tires or is that all the trails? See I still have the stock goodyear tires and I don't want to do drive these trails if it is going to make it difficult for me to get back home. Is this because of the rocks out there? I will take a look at the video.

By the way I see you are from OK. Are their any good trails out there? I have heard there are some old logging trails but I did not no if they were any good. My wife and I go up to OK every year to camp. We just came back from Robbers Cave State Park this last weekend.

Last edited by TXJKU; 10-17-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

We drove Old Ore Road and Black Gap Road in the 2012 videos. Old Ore is a dirt road with a few rough spots. Black Gap is very rocky and has some off-camber stuff (though not as much as in those videos since NPS "improved" the trail). There is some potential on it for vehicle damage, though much less than before. It's easy to stay out of trouble if one is reasonably cautious. It is the closest you'll come to a technical trail in the park. Either one could be done in a stock, base-model Jeep. But it does depend a lot on weather, as well as how much risk a driver wishes to assume. If you're looking for scenery, either provides plenty of both. You could drive River Road, which meets up with Black Gap Road, and continue on it instead of taking Black Gap. The risks on it are primarily flooding related: Recent rains or flooding of the Rio Grande could cause significant difficulties at certain low points along the trail. Otherwise, it's an easy drive, though there is the possibility of brush rubbing against the vehicle body. Mariscal Mine is worth a visit, but it's a little out of the way if you take Black Gap Road, which is essentially a bypass for the longer, but easier drive on River Road. Old Maxwell Road is another easy dirt road (weather permitting), with an impressive approach to Santa Elena Canyon if taken from north to south.

Old Ore Road

River Road

Mariscal Mine

Black Gap Road

Old Maxwell Road

Santa Elena Canyon

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-18-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I checked out your videos and saw that the vehicles y'all had were modified. That why i was curious if I was capable of doing it but it is good to know. This info will really help me decide our agenda. I am actually meeting up with my father in law to plan our trip. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Jury trial set in child assault case « Big Bend Now

This one is coming up near the end of this month!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Hey should I bring a Jerry Can? I was thinking of buying a 5 gallon Jerry Can, but I want a tire mount for it but I can't find one. any suggestions? or will it be fine the jeep? I really like the idea keeping outside to keep space on the inside.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TXJKU
Hey should I bring a Jerry Can? I was thinking of buying a 5 gallon Jerry Can, but I want a tire mount for it but I can't find one. any suggestions? or will it be fine the jeep? I really like the idea keeping outside to keep space on the inside.
It will depend on where you're traveling. There is gas at Terlingua, Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village. If you're staying in BBNP you shouldn't have any problem organizing your trip to cross those locations and fill up. Recommend use 2WD whenever possible which, unless weather/flooding interferes, should be almost all of the time. There are also showers at Rio Grande Village. If you're headed into Big Bend Ranch State Park, there is gas in Presidio. There is none in the park.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Well I am going to Fort Davis State Park first, and going to do the scenic loop of Presidio and Lajitas and then McDonald Observatories. Then we are heading to Teralingua, and Santa Ellena Canyon. We are going to take back country roads out their in Big Bend National Park. So my only concern is taking a bit of extra fuel just in case. So it sounds like it is not necessary. Will I need to disassemble the sway bar in the front? Or are the trails mild that it is not necessary?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TXJKU
Well I am going to Fort Davis State Park first, and going to do the scenic loop of Presidio and Lajitas and then McDonald Observatories. Then we are heading to Teralingua, and Santa Ellena Canyon. We are going to take back country roads out their in Big Bend National Park. So my only concern is taking a bit of extra fuel just in case. So it sounds like it is not necessary. Will I need to disassemble the sway bar in the front? Or are the trails mild that it is not necessary?
I lowered my tire pressure to 20 PSI, but left the sway bar connected.

I'd recommend do McDonald Observatory while at Ft Davis SP. Then head on down to Marfa, Presidio, Ft Leaton (get Big Bend Ranch SP permit), into BBRSP if you wish, then over to Lajitas. Even along that paved road you're in BBRSP and need a permit for stopping--both Balancing Rocks viewpoint and Contrabando movie set are worthwhile stops.

Continue to Terlingua and eat at Chili Pepper Cafe. You can gas up and buy groceries there. Drive into BBNP and as soon as you pass gate turn right into Old Maverick Rd. Follow it to Santa Elena Canyon. Take hike into canyon, then drive along river to Cottonwood, where you can camp.

If you want to camp backcountry, you'll have to drive to Panther Junction to get a permit. It is hella long ways out of the way when entering from Terlingua. And it closes at 4:30. You can drive River Road and Black Gap, if you wish, next day and come out a few miles from Panther Gap, drop in for a visit and get backcountry permit for that night. Recommend Old Oar Road headed south. Ernst Tinaja is a nice campsite. Next day exit at south end and go to Rio Grande Village for showers and gas.

It is a huge park--there is tons you will have missed. If you have a couple more days, Chisos Basin, Balanced Rocks and Mule Ears are worth visits. Basin has a good restaurant and lodging, campground. No gas. Sunset in The Window is awesome.

Back at BBRSP, you can discuss camping with the folks at Ft Leaton. There is camping along the road to Lajitas. Or take the road into the park and find some 4WD trails out to remote areas. Guale 2 is spectacular. Tres Papalotes is a several hour drive in, but has The Road to Nowhere. These are places you should not go without another vehicle, though. There is also a bunkhouse at Saucedo, which you'd be safe to visit without a buddy. Free water and donations taken for ice there, too. Great T-shirts, too, BTW. ;-)

BTW: BBRSP takes advance campsite reservations, but you'll still need to stop for permit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141021_154713.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	580895

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-21-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Are there any Trials in Big Bend?