Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Tillamook Forest, Oregon in mid-November?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tillamook Forest, Oregon in mid-November?

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of driving down from Vancouver, BC area to Tillamook Forest in Oregon for a few nights, Mid-November (like Nov 11th weekend).

I have seen from the pics, that Tillamook is a little wet and damp year round, but in Mid-November, will there be snow or freezing temps? Just wondering if I bring a kid or two on the adventure?

And I've googled and searched this forum, found pics, but specifically where can one get the trail maps and such?

Thanks for your assistance!

Cheers! ~ Paul.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

The first link is to their website and the second should give you a pdf map. From my understanding T'mook doesn't get too high in elevation so snow should be about local weather and not mountain snow pack. That said...higher elevations around these parts start seeing first snowfall around the time of your planned visit. I'm heading down there this weekend, so i'll try to post a good trip report for you.

Oregon Department of Forestry - Tillamook State Forest OHV Trails
http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamooks...s/tsfohv09.pdf
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the link!

I had some time tonight to google it all... huge place!

Is powerline trail the one with the fallen tree that you can drive under?

Any other suggestions on which trails to run and which campsite to use? Hogs Back? Cedar Tree? University?

I am LSD rear and open front, nothing too insane (like the waterfall I saw a youtube video of).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Last edited by fifthconspiracy; 10-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I've only been once so far....if no one else posts up ill try to answer your ?'s after Saturday
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Cedar tree is the one you can drive under.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Like said above. Cedar trail is the one with the tree to drive under. The trail itself is pretty easy but I think it's mandatory to get a picture undernieth it. Here is a trip report from when I went in July. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/nort...forest-238706/ It was my first trip down there. We camped at Browns Camp and used the powerline trail to access pretty much all the other trails we ran. University Firepower is a fun sloppy one to bounce and slide down, Firebreak 5 is probably the best all around trail but might be pretty tough with an open/open rig. One of our guys was open/open and with good spotting he got through ok. Def. stay away from Waterfall, can opener, airplane hill, 7up hill and so on. Unless you get a chance to watch some others those sections can get pretty nasty.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the info guys. Appreciated. I think I'll stick to Cedar and Powerline for this first time out. I also want to hit up Sand Lake Dunes, just south of Tillamook. I only have a few days, so this is more of a scouting trip for a longer stay ;-)

Next question - where do I get the OHV permit to drive in Tillamook Forest?

And if anyone wants to join me the Nov 11th weekend, please let me know.

Cheers! ~ Paul.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

There is a shell gas station 11 miles east of browns camp that we bought ours at.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd join you, but have a prior commitment in Utah.

Used to wheel at TSF quite a bit, but it's been a few years.
It can be wet and cold in November so bring plenty of warm clothing and be ready for mud and rain and maybe snow at higher elevations.
A good map and a GPS are advised... TSF can be a maze, especially when the fog sets in.
Archer's Firebreak, Cedar Tree, Hogsback, and Firebreak 5 are all very popular runs.

I'll PM you another link. Have fun!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do get down there don't forget to use the Badge of Honor App and get your badge for Cedar Tree Trail (#13) and Firebreak 5 (#14). Those are the only ones in the PNW. I havent been down there and earned them yet but I will be doing so soon.

Happy Trails

Quick Reply: Tillamook Forest, Oregon in mid-November?