Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Utah; Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon - Oct 2016

Old 11-25-2016, 11:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
... I've also had quite of feedback from people saying they don't like any music in videos. It also depends on what sounds the GoPro has picked up, or if I've filmed with the drone. With the drone, there is no mic and you wouldn't want to hear the noise anyhow so I always add music to drone shots. Or if I have sped up the footage, then I'll add music. I have seen the YouTube audio, but found it to be pretty... generic? I'm not sure if I could have found something that would have worked with this video. On top of that, the program I was using has having issues at the end of my edit...
I'm also not fond of music for the entire length of a video and agree that I'd usually prefer to hear the natural sounds--or dubbed in sounds if the ambient audio was distracting (off camera and irrelevant conversations, doors slamming, footsteps, etc). But, I fade the music down low or completely off when that's appropriate.

As for drones, yeah, Beehive B-Sides was my first experience working with drone video. In a way that let me dub in the drone audio because when I introduce the first footage from the drone I explain that we're all new at that and are just playing with the drone. So, I dubbed in the audio shot from my HDSLR of the drone noise during the actual drone footage. Otherwise, music is a good option. Another option, though, is to dub in some radio conversation of the vehicles as they're rolling along. Imagine a shot of the vehicles headed into this beautiful landscape. On GoPros perhaps you've captured the CB chatter of the folks saying what a beautiful sight it is ahead. Dub that into the drone footage. You may think it's odd, but now that I've told you that watch professional movies and TV shows and you'll see that they've been using that technique for decades.

Let me recommend a really good and not too pricey video editor: Cyberlink PowerDirector. It will allow you to manipulate multiple video and audio tracks--you can have the original audio track from the first video and any number of other videos, a voice over track, a sound effects track, and a music track. There is no limit that I've ever run into on tracks. You can manipulate each audio and video segment separately. Unlink a video from its audio and shift it over a little bit. Or place it on the second video/audio track so you hear the audio from two videos simultaneously. That's a great way to move CB chatter to a better scene while retaining the original audio, too. Imagine you're at the end of the line but the guys up front are talking about how challenging the obstacle ahead is. Shift that audio closer to when it appears in your video footage. Each audio track has a volume control that runs the entire length of that audio track. Adjust the first five seconds at normal volume, set the next 20 seconds down low so it doesn't obscure audio from a voice over or video track, then bring it back up to normal for 10, then fade it completely out. Split that audio track, then reuse the remainder somewhere else (very useful for music to begin and end a video, but be silent in the middle).

If you haven't ever watched any of my videos, you may want to sit through this one to see how all of that comes together ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGE2zXTjMhQ I could go on and on about a good video editor, but let me sum it up this way: The biggest improvement I made in the quality of my videos wasn't the $25,000 worth of camera gear I use. It was the $140 video editor (which these days I think is even less expensive). Seriously.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-26-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Here. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. You might want to expand your browser to full screen. ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	14324307_10207904941362343_8704288722918003023_o.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	661630

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-26-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like an amazing trip.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm also not fond of music for the entire length of a video and agree that I'd usually prefer to hear the natural sounds--or dubbed in sounds if the ambient audio was distracting (off camera and irrelevant conversations, doors slamming, footsteps, etc). But, I fade the music down low or completely off when that's appropriate.

As for drones, yeah, Beehive B-Sides was my first experience working with drone video. In a way that let me dub in the drone audio because when I introduce the first footage from the drone I explain that we're all new at that and are just playing with the drone. So, I dubbed in the audio shot from my HDSLR of the drone noise during the actual drone footage. Otherwise, music is a good option. Another option, though, is to dub in some radio conversation of the vehicles as they're rolling along. Imagine a shot of the vehicles headed into this beautiful landscape. On GoPros perhaps you've captured the CB chatter of the folks saying what a beautiful sight it is ahead. Dub that into the drone footage. You may think it's odd, but now that I've told you that watch professional movies and TV shows and you'll see that they've been using that technique for decades.

Let me recommend a really good and not too pricey video editor: Cyberlink PowerDirector. It will allow you to manipulate multiple video and audio tracks--you can have the original audio track from the first video and any number of other videos, a voice over track, a sound effects track, and a music track. There is no limit that I've ever run into on tracks. You can manipulate each audio and video segment separately. Unlink a video from its audio and shift it over a little bit. Or place it on the second video/audio track so you hear the audio from two videos simultaneously. That's a great way to move CB chatter to a better scene while retaining the original audio, too. Imagine you're at the end of the line but the guys up front are talking about how challenging the obstacle ahead is. Shift that audio closer to when it appears in your video footage. Each audio track has a volume control that runs the entire length of that audio track. Adjust the first five seconds at normal volume, set the next 20 seconds down low so it doesn't obscure audio from a voice over or video track, then bring it back up to normal for 10, then fade it completely out. Split that audio track, then reuse the remainder somewhere else (very useful for music to begin and end a video, but be silent in the middle).

If you haven't ever watched any of my videos, you may want to sit through this one to see how all of that comes together ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGE2zXTjMhQ I could go on and on about a good video editor, but let me sum it up this way: The biggest improvement I made in the quality of my videos wasn't the $25,000 worth of camera gear I use. It was the $140 video editor (which these days I think is even less expensive). Seriously.
Excellent feedback and information sharing Mark, thanks! I'm going to try to add some of those ideas you've suggested, your own videos are great! I had to subscribe... I'll also buy Power Director, looks like it's $70 now. I started out using Movie Maker just to figure it out and it was great for that... then I stepped up to Sony.... Vegas? Whatever I was using blurred my high-speed video no matter what setting I used, it was frustrating so I went back to Windows Movie Maker. I'm really hoping to step up my editing & filming... I hate being on camera myself and dislike hearing my own voice on camera, that's hard for me to overcome.

I don't have a ton of time to spend on an edit, if I can take several hours of footage and edit it in about an hour I'm doing good. I'll have to spend a little more time working on sound, music & different shots.

This was my personal favorite edit from this year.... I'm new to aerial filming and using an older DJI Phantom 2 and my moves aren't always super smooth, but I'm learning. I feel like my ratio of GoPro to aerial footage could be better... buy again, working on finding the perfect balance. And finding the right music & natural sound balance isn't always easy either! I have a long way to go, but enjoy filming, editing and sharing... and always looking to improve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCQmv-AQpg

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Here. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. You might want to expand your browser to full screen. ...

Attachment 661630
I dig it, looks real good! It's on the shopping list.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sinsitizen
That looks like an amazing trip.
It was, very beautiful and remote... can't wait to get back again!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
... I went back to Windows Movie Maker.

This was my personal favorite edit from this year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCQmv-AQpg
Nicely done video. I, too, used Windows Movie Maker and Windows Live Movie Maker for my early videos. You will find the move to PowerDirector a tremendous improvement in what you can do with your videos. I look forward to your future work!

Quick Reply: Utah; Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon - Oct 2016