Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Wheeling and camping in VA?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeling and camping in VA?

I actually live in NJ but visit a friend in the Charlottesville area every once in awhile to do some through hiking in Shenandoah. We were thinking of doing a long trail with an overnight stay and maybe some hiking. I've heard people talk about GWNP and Shoe creek, but they where older posts and and the "Man" is always closing trails so I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas. We would be willing to drive a bit if we had to. In NJ we have the pine barrens which are pretty much easy fire roads with some giant Jeep eating puddles. Wouldn't mind some more difficult terrain.

~Cheers~
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Home

Awesome place^^ can't beat camping and wheeling int he same location
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GWNF is the place to be! It's quite large and the only places I've wheeled were Peters Mill Run (not really challenging and not many cool places to set-up camp) and Flagpole Knob (W of Harrisonburg, VA). Flagpole is my groups go-to place and is really sweet. The trails are fun (there's a lot of offshoots from the main) and there's so many cool spots to set-up camp (even up on the knob if you want to brave the elements and cooler temps).
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Did a bit more research last night and read about Big Levels and Peters Mill Run, but I'll have to check Flagpole Knob! Thanks man!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCGMotorsports
Did a bit more research last night and read about Big Levels and Peters Mill Run, but I'll have to check Flagpole Knob! Thanks man!
Check-out some YouTube videos. Just search for 'GWNF Flagpole'. That'll help you decide!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

So I'm going down in about a month and I'm torn between Big Levels and Flagpole I think. From the videos flagpole seems to have more scenery and a bit wider trails. What's the best way heading west to enter the trail? Does anyone know of good hiking off the trail? I know the AT is close to big levels but wasn't sure what up by flagpole.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

So I'm going down in about a month and I'm torn between Big Levels and Flagpole I think. From the videos flagpole seems to have more scenery and a bit wider trails. What's the best way heading west to enter the trail? Does anyone know of good hiking off the trail? I know the AT is close to big levels but wasn't sure what up by flagpole.
You get to the trail from 33 W from Harrisonburg. You stay on 33 for 30 minutes or so. You'll eventually get to GWNF (there'll be a sign).

After you enter the forest you'll eventually get to the mountains. As the road turns windy and increases in elevation keep your eye peeled for an offshoot to the left. It'll be after a mile or so once you start climbing.

The offshoot is a dirt road that'll take you back down along Switzer Lake. Stay straight until you cross a concrete creek crossing. Immediately after there's a staging/camping area to the left. It's a good place to air down and drop the top (probably not this time of year, lol). Continue along the original path and it'll take you up the trail.

After an hour or so and lots of fun puddles and creek crossings, you'll find yourself up top at a 'T'. A right will take you to Flagpole Knob (it'll be on your left after a short while. Look for the offshoots). A left will take you down then up some really fun rocky parts then eventually (20 min I think) to the next overlook, The Meadow. You can continue along that trail to head-off the mountain and up at Union Springs Rd, I believe.

Have fun, and watch out for the deep puddles! Some can be as deep as 2ft!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome man thanks! I'll probably start here but may do big levels the next day. Camping spots seem to be everywhere but mainly around the meadow. Anybody got good info Big Levels?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Awesome man thanks! I'll probably start here but may do big levels the next day. Camping spots seem to be everywhere but mainly around the meadow. Anybody got good info Big Levels?
Yeah, there are camping spots all over that trail. There's quite a few up top but also quite a few towards the beginning of the trail. I think the ones at the beginning would be nice when there's iffy weather- the lower elevation would be warmer and the mountains would provide a little cover. Plus, a lot are along a creek that you follow for a while.

Have fun! I should be out that way in a week or two then probably again in April.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

So I'm planning on going to Hone Quarry on Friday 4/11 in the afternoon to do some camping and get up in the morning and doing either the Hone Quarry Ridge or Oak knob hike Saturday morning. My question is, how long does it take to do the Flag Pole run? I just trying to figure out how much time I'll have and where I'll be. If it only takes a few hours I may look for another trail to do afterwards with a place to camp. Or if it takes all day, I'll probably camp on the trail somewhere and and finish Sunday morning. Basically I'm trying to fill my weekend with good trails and hiking. I'm afraid I won't have enough planned and I'll have to go home. Who wants to do that!

Quick Reply: Wheeling and camping in VA?