Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2 12 inch subwoofer box in the back of a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 12 inch subwoofer box in the back of a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?

Hey guys, I just got my first jeep and I like a whole lot of bass. I'm still in high school so I don't have too much money (I'm willing to make my own box). I was wondering if you guys have any information on how or if I can put two twelve inch subwoofers in the back without taking the seats out. Any information would be very helpful!

-Carson Clark
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 89 that I had 2 10" subs in. I wanted the box to be even with the height of the wheel wells and that was the limiting factor for the size. If you are building the box out of 3/4" particle board then you will need the face where the speakers mount to be at least 14" tall, taller if you are putting them on an angle. Today's subs are designed to work, for the most part, in smaller enclosure boxes so airspace shouldn't be too much of an issue. To design the box, close the tailgate and measure the dimensions that you have with the seat in, width and depth. Make sure you keep in mind any hinge covers or latch covers that will intrude on the space. Take those measurements and subtract 1.5" from them, that is the space the sides will be taking up. Then if you are making a simple rectangle box you will want at least 14" tall which will be 12.5 internal dimensions. Multiply the length by width by height and that will give you your internal airspace in cubic inches. One cubic foot is 1728 cubic inches. If a subwoofer states that it needs .75 cubic feet of airspace you will need 1.5 cubic feet of internal airspace for 2. That is on a sealed box. As far as box construction goes you want nice strait and square edges on your cuts so a table saw or circular saw with a steady hand or strait edge is a must. Once glued and screwed together use silicone caulking to seal the internal corners. You can get away with a slightly smaller enclosure if you stuff the box with polyfill available at craft or sewing stores, use 16 ounces of polyfill per cubic foot of internal airspace.

All that being said, while I did get a decent bass sound it wasn't anything great as my Jeep had a soft top. I also didn't have a lot of power going to the subs, I think it was an old Fosgate Punch 75 on 2 ohm Boston Acoustics subs and that was 25 years ago. While it will sound better than not having them it won't be pound your chest bass like in a hatch or sedan.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 bucks for this box on hifisound sound connection.

Quick Reply: 2 12 inch subwoofer box in the back of a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?