Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER JK CUSTOM OVERLAND EXPEDITION REAR SET-UP - Ex-Flight Containers

Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER JK CUSTOM OVERLAND EXPEDITION REAR SET-UP - Ex-Flight Containers

Just finished my custom overland expedition setup for the rear of my JK. I made it using 2 x $35 ex-military flight containers off the Bay.

Full post here and extensive gallery of the full make-over here.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nice job

what are the measurements on the boxes? Just one turned the other way would prob . work for me !
where do you find the container itself ? It looks like military surplus storage box
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
what are the measurements on the boxes? Just one turned the other way would prob . work for me !
where do you find the container itself ? It looks like military surplus storage box
Yes, they're ex-MOD flight containers. They measure 500mm high by 900mm wide by 340mm deep externally and the shelves measure 830mm wide by 300mm deep.

Here's where I got mine:

Military Storage transport containers tool box, Flight Boat Van | eBay
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks ,

Originally Posted by UKCRD
Yes, they're ex-MOD flight containers. They measure 500mm high by 900mm wide by 340mm deep externally and the shelves measure 830mm wide by 300mm deep.

Here's where I got mine:

Military Storage transport containers tool box, Flight Boat Van | eBay
Perfect.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find out if they will ship here or the cost?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

There are 2 or 3 sellers who have them. Here's another one:

ammo box laycorn army land rover toy tool storage military tractor thomas bin | eBay
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are they secured from moving while driving/ bouncing off road? Do you leave them in all the time or just on a adventure? And what floor mat did you use to cover the entire back?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice solution and fantastic job refurbishing them. These look like perfect storage for my trailer and Jeep. I'll have to contact the sellers and see what it would cost to get 2 of these to the states.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those look awesome! I wonder what shipping to Canada would be though, I imagine it would make the whole thing pretty costly
Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tapp
How are they secured from moving while driving/ bouncing off road? Do you leave them in all the time or just on a adventure? And what floor mat did you use to cover the entire back?
The mat is a Bestop. Decent mat although the lips quickly mis-shape. I only use them for weekends and expeditions. The top holds them firmly against the sides of the JK. They don't need securing as most of my kit is stored on top of them which holds them down nicely. What's great is the plastic sheeting is very thin but boy can it take some weight! I've lain up there myself with no problems at all.

Quick Reply: 2 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER JK CUSTOM OVERLAND EXPEDITION REAR SET-UP - Ex-Flight Containers