Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2012 JK Clock spring change out.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK Clock spring change out.

Well since I wasted my money changing a clock spring that was misdiagnosed, figured I could at least post some info. Only real difference on the 2012 JK is how the air bag is removed everything else seems to be about the same as older models.

Required tools:
Quality set of torx bits also torx screwdrivers are helpful.
10mm socket, ratchet, and extension
13mm socket
Pick set for electrical connectors.
Screwdriver set

Seeing how most everything is plastic use extreme caution. First off unhook the battery as you will be removing the airbag.

Starting out:

Remove these 10mm bolts on on each side: (Blue arrow indicates what bolt to remove)

Carefully remove the two airbag plugs, these can not be plugged up backwards they are one way connectors. There is also a small black connector not pictured.

The two 10mm air bag bolts went here: (reference the blue arrows)

These bolts are the only thing holding in the airbag, the older model used 3 metal clamps you had to pry out.

13mm bolt holding the steering wheel in. (This photo is with the new clock spring installed the picture taken with the old one did not turn out, the only difference is the locking tab for the clock spring.) Once the bolt is removed there is alignment dots on the shaft and wheel. This makes alignment easier, there is a flat tooth to assist alignment as well.

Remove this plug from the clock spring:

3 torx screws that hold in the clock spring indicated by blue arrows two of which were removed before photo was taken.

Left side top screw removed before photo but screw went here:

Right side top screw removed before photo but went here:

Connectors on the back of clock spring these are as well one way connectors, they can only be put back where they came from.

Now this should be what you are looking at.

New vs old:

Remove these two phillips screws to detach turn signal wiper controls.

Once these two screws are removed the controls unplug from one another with this yellow wire it is only unplugging one side is necessary, the controls simply slide right out. There are alignment tabs take note of these for reinstall.

Moving over the controls is reverse from removal. Be gentle reinstalling the phillips head screws, the new hole may or may not be threaded.

This part can be disregarded for 2011-Current. It is only required on 2007-2010 as per dealer.

For reassembly slide the new clock spring back on the steering column, plug in all electrical connectors, reinstall the 3 torx screws careful holding the clock spring in place.

Align the steering wheel, the rubber tit indicated by the red arrow is what turns the clock sing ensure this is aligned with the hole in the wheel, install the retaining bolt (blue arrow). CAUTION do not use the steering wheel as a grab handle at this point to enter or exit the vehicle you can damage the new clock spring.

With the wheel tightened and centered you can now remove the locking tab in the clock spring and immediately plug in the white connector that was removed eariler.

Plug air bag back in, also the black connector:

Reinstall the two 10mm bolts that were removed earlier for the air bag.

Should look like this now:

Hopefully your install went successful, reconnect the battery, insert key (I suggest from the passenger side incase the airbag deploys) start vehicle. As I said the only real difference in the 2012 is how the air bag mounts in the wheel. 2007-current all use the same clock spring.

If I left something out please speak up. Purpose for write up was I could not find any info on a newer model clock spring replacement. This whole process takes about an hour if you have the tools readily available.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clock spring

Originally Posted by mblue
Well since I wasted my money changing a clock spring that was misdiagnosed, figured I could at least post some info. Only real difference on the 2012 JK is how the air bag is removed everything else seems to be about the same as older models.

Required tools:
Quality set of torx bits also torx screwdrivers are helpful.
10mm socket, ratchet, and extension
13mm socket
Pick set for electrical connectors.
Screwdriver set

Seeing how most everything is plastic use extreme caution. First off unhook the battery as you will be removing the airbag.

Starting out:

Remove these 10mm bolts on on each side: (Blue arrow indicates what bolt to remove)

Carefully remove the two airbag plugs, these can not be plugged up backwards they are one way connectors. There is also a small black connector not pictured.

The two 10mm air bag bolts went here: (reference the blue arrows)

These bolts are the only thing holding in the airbag, the older model used 3 metal clamps you had to pry out.

13mm bolt holding the steering wheel in. (This photo is with the new clock spring installed the picture taken with the old one did not turn out, the only difference is the locking tab for the clock spring.) Once the bolt is removed there is alignment dots on the shaft and wheel. This makes alignment easier, there is a flat tooth to assist alignment as well.

Remove this plug from the clock spring:

3 torx screws that hold in the clock spring indicated by blue arrows two of which were removed before photo was taken.

Left side top screw removed before photo but screw went here:

Right side top screw removed before photo but went here:

Connectors on the back of clock spring these are as well one way connectors, they can only be put back where they came from.

Now this should be what you are looking at.

New vs old:

Remove these two phillips screws to detach turn signal wiper controls.

Once these two screws are removed the controls unplug from one another with this yellow wire it is only unplugging one side is necessary, the controls simply slide right out. There are alignment tabs take note of these for reinstall.

Moving over the controls is reverse from removal. Be gentle reinstalling the phillips head screws, the new hole may or may not be threaded.

This part can be disregarded for 2011-Current. It is only required on 2007-2010 as per dealer.

For reassembly slide the new clock spring back on the steering column, plug in all electrical connectors, reinstall the 3 torx screws careful holding the clock spring in place.

Align the steering wheel, the rubber tit indicated by the red arrow is what turns the clock sing ensure this is aligned with the hole in the wheel, install the retaining bolt (blue arrow). CAUTION do not use the steering wheel as a grab handle at this point to enter or exit the vehicle you can damage the new clock spring.

With the wheel tightened and centered you can now remove the locking tab in the clock spring and immediately plug in the white connector that was removed eariler.

Plug air bag back in, also the black connector:

Reinstall the two 10mm bolts that were removed earlier for the air bag.

Should look like this now:

Hopefully your install went successful, reconnect the battery, insert key (I suggest from the passenger side incase the airbag deploys) start vehicle. As I said the only real difference in the 2012 is how the air bag mounts in the wheel. 2007-current all use the same clock spring.

If I left something out please speak up. Purpose for write up was I could not find any info on a newer model clock spring replacement. This whole process takes about an hour if you have the tools readily available.
What brand is the besy replacement if original Mopar is Junk??
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This piece controls your air bag, it's best to stick to a reputable brand. I'll have to dig up the pn's of my recent change and see how they compare. Mine was worn out so certainly not a "bad design" or "junk", it's just a serviceable part.

Old on the right, new superseded part on the left. It's odd that the OP was able to source a xxxxxxxx-AJ. Even I ordered the same thing, I was given the new pn.

Last edited by karls10jk; 11-21-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
This piece controls your air bag, it's best to stick to a reputable brand. I'll have to dig up the pn's of my recent change and see how they compare. Mine was worn out so certainly not a "bad design" or "junk", it's just a serviceable part.

Old on the right, new superseded part on the left. It's odd that the OP was able to source a xxxxxxxx-AJ. Even I ordered the same thing, I was given the new pn.
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

nice write up!
I almost never make an effort to change those out but looking this simple I may start soon
Old 11-30-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up with all the pics! You might have persuaded me to finally switch mine out after three years.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

So what issues have been leading you guys to replace these?

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I had a random but persistent air bag light. Cruise, turn signals, and horn worked.

I've got a friend who just had one replaced under warranty because the steering wheel buttons quit working on the left side of the wheel, everything else was functioning properly.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had a random but persistent air bag light. Cruise, turn signals, and horn worked.

I've got a friend who just had one replaced under warranty because the steering wheel buttons quit working on the left side of the wheel, everything else was functioning properly.
Yea they robbed her then. It was on a 2006 Liberty and she went in because her TCS lights and ABS light would come on around a turn, and you could literally feel some type of resistance on like the driveside front and rear wheel. I experienced this myself driving it. It was an intermittent problem that only happened a handful of times. Sooooo nothing to do with a clock spring...
Old 12-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That's more wheel speed sensor related. I've also got an 06 libby.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Clock spring change out.