Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2012 JKU heated seat write up

Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnm1012
I think I will be attempting this soon too. Has anyone done this with just using seat covers? Instead of messing with the original seats just lay the heaters down on top of them then put the seat covers on top?

I did not do this under seat covers. I did this under the factory seats. However I have installed the popular name leather like seat cover on the back seat. I think this would be a very easy install under seat covers. Infact many seat covers come with heaters installed on them already. Some of those even have a 12 volt plug built in so you do not have to cut the wiring harness. Plug and play kind of thing.
I will say having seat heaters is a must have IMOP. I have used them in the summer when I had a back injury from weight lifting. The heat made longer trips more tollerable.
The seat heaters extend topless season as well.
Buy the covers with heaters installed. There will be no permenant changes to your jeep. If you dont like them, sell them on here or Ebay. Easy peezy. I'll bet you like them though.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I may have missed it but what brand did you buy ? I could not get the ebay link to work.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default same here no working link

could you please post a link to whatever product you used here?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CRZYOPG
could you please post a link to whatever product you used here?

Here is a link to an ebay auction for the covers I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-WRANGLE...a1425b&vxp=mtr

This one is for the older style wrangler with the old interior. I have a 2012. But i dont find a current auction for a 2012 JKU. You would have to contact Iggee for covers for the current model covers. I think they offer a seat heater as an option. If not there are many seat heater options on eBay. ill try to post a link to the heaters I put in my seats.

I did not get the iggee's for my front seats. I only got them for the rear seat. I wanted something Kid proof for the seat the kids would be in. I did not put heaters in my rear seat, because my boys are in boosters so the heaters would not do them any good any way.
I like the Iggees. i may eventually put them up front. They look very nice. I am not sure how much I would enjoy leather like covers on my jeep on hot summer days. Especially black leather like seat covers.

Also I did not fully install my rear seat cover. I never used the little strap things to pull everything real tight, but they still fit and look very good. If I did it properly it woulod look even better.

I can tell you a kid can poor an entier milk shake on the seat, adn you find it a day later adn it wipes right up. Try that will cloth seats. Catsup is another item that frequently gets cleaned up a day or two later.

As for my seat heaters in the front seats. I love the combination of cloth seats and the heaters. I really enjoyed the heaters this morning with temps in the high 50's.
My heater kit was for seat back and bottom for two seats with two switches for around $80 shipped. It had adhesive strips that stuck to the bottom side of the factory seat covers. You could easily stick them to after market seat covers.
If you do it hit my link to my install. You can read all the wrong ways to wire up your heaters. then at the end see the correct way to wire them up. It shold save you about a week of frusteration.

link to seat heaters that look exactly like mine. I dont know if it is the same seller or not. I could not find it in my ebay time line.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-He...8c5595&vxp=mtr

Last edited by trbizwiz; 10-03-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pictures of iggee rear seat cover

Picture up close of offer seat cover not fully strapped down

Those straps hanging down should have hooks on them and the hooks connect under the seat to pull everything tight. Makes a better fit. Bit I think they look ok as is.

Pictures of front seats

Pictures up close of heater switches

I think it looks very factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I do not have the room like you do in my 2010 to put the switches there. I am curious if that is where everyone is putting them or does anyone have another space to put them? Pics would be great. thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

subscribed
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed... This will be a project for my Jeep and F250.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must have missed it, but how did the OP wire this up?

This kit appears to be plug and play LUX 201MPR - Check Corporation Seat Heaters for 99-13 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK & Unlimited - Quadratec

From what I have found the trade off seems to be higher price=easier to wire up and connect to jeeps system; lower cost kit=splicing and hope you get it right.

Is it that big of a deal to go with the Generic kit?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Just finished the install of heated seats in my 2011 JKU. Thanks to everyone in this forum and others for the great write-ups….. probably wouldn’t have attempted it without all that. Just wanted to give my thoughts on the project:

I bought the Sports Imports Universal kit from Amazon. $83 for bottom and back pads for both seats. There were cheaper universal kits available, but this kit had great reviews on other forums. I thought the quality of the kit and the detail of the instructions was excellent, especially for the price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Quadratec sells a kit with plug and play wiring from Check Corp for around $200. I was going to purchase this, until I saw it only comes with a back pad for the passenger seat due to the airbag sensor that’s adhered to the seat foam. Since my normal passenger was the motivation for this whole project (can’t drive around with no top if the lady is cold)….this wasn’t an option.

I decided to just cover up the sensor with the heating pad; the airbag warning alarm works just as it did before when there is weight on the seat. The pads from my kit allowed you to cut a section out of the middle for the sensors as long as 1.5 inches remained on each side of the cut. There is more than enough room to make the cut if that’s your preference.

I tried removing the 18mm seat bolts with a ½ drive breaker bar (I may have a hernia as a result). Instead, I removed the six 13mm nuts that hold the seat sliders to the lower seat frame (nuts facing down). The two forward, inboard nuts need to be turned with a wrench, the others can be done with a deep well socket.
Battery had been disconnected for a while. I separated all connectors under the seat, disconnected the seat belts from the seat (torx bit) and brought them inside. I unbolted the seat backs from the bottoms (4 bolts). I’ve heard some people say they did the install with the seats still in the Jeep. IMO, there is no way to get everything straight, wrinkle-free, and trimmed / cut properly without pulling the seats apart.

Removing the seat covers enough to install the pads is very easy. All you need is a small putty knife or pry tool to help the fabric clips off the seat frame. There are no hog rings, you can cut 1 zip tie on each seat bottom if you want easier access, and all the clips go back on easy.

The bottom heat pad has to be trimmed about 2 inches because of the sill (pleat that goes across the seat approx 6 inches back from the front edge). The back pad needs no trimming. They ask you to cut out a notch in the seat back foam for the thermostat (a small bump about 1/8 high, ½ wide, and 1 inch long). I did not do this and can’t feel it at all when seated.

Wiring was easy. 20mm hole for each round switch (I placed them in the area in front of the cupholder and behind the shifter boot (manual trans). Wires run on either side of the center console. Removing two bolts towards the rear of the center console allows you to lift it up enough.

Each seat has a positive and negative power wire, and a control cable that connects to the switch. I used the 3’ switch extensions that came with the kit to make for tidy wiring (you could get away without if you didn’t mind the switch wiring exiting the seat midway and directly entering the center console.

Both grounds were spliced together and attached to an existing body ground terminal under the inboard section of the driver’s seat. For now, I brought power from the SPOD through the fire wall, under the driver’s door sill, and spliced it to both seat power wires under the driver’s seat carpet.

I was going to attempt to find the accessory wire that is behind the cigarette lighter in the dash till I saw this product that taps into accessory power without having to break into the factory harness. This will eliminate the need to throw both the SPOD switch and the actual seat heater switch.
Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-16 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

The project took about 7 hours and a 6 pack. It was really cool to do this myself…. and it was a toasty ride to work in the morning. Looking forward to an extended top-down season!

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU heated seat write up