Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

6-spd fix for knocking noise and shifting problem

Old 05-06-2007, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-spd fix for knocking noise and shifting problem

So i've been driving my JK for about six months now, and have gotten used to the Knocking sound that comes from the shifter area when in first, third and fifth while hitting a bump etc. But today, the shifter felt wierd... as if it lost its springy-ness and it didn't feel like it was actually clicking into the upper gears (1,3,5,) and wanted to stay in the lower gears (2,4,6,). By the time i got home, the shifter would fall out of first, third and fifth into nuetral where it was very stiff and didn't want to move. Upon removing the shift boot from the consil, i noticed that the inner shift boot had come loose. After about fifteen straight minutes of trying to clip it back into place, i realized it simply wasn't going to happen. Its a rubber boot with a plastic ring at the bottom, two tabs facing towards the rear of the jeep, and two clips facing the front of the jeep. the tabs go in no problem, the clips just wouldn't clip and when they would it was only seconds before they popped back out. So here's what i did: I took a small block of styrofoam, wrapped it in a disposable shop towel (those heavy duty blue paper towels), then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, and then wrapped rubber splicing tape around the block. the shop towels really aren't needed... i just did it for the heck of it, the electrical tape is there to hold the towel on, and the rubber splicing tape is there to give it traction to keep it from moving. Then i wedged the whole thing between the very bottom of the consil and the inner shift boot to keep the boot from popping back up. Then i put the outer shift boot back in place, and its all fixed, i haven't heard the knocking noise anymore and shift boot is definately not ever going to come loose again. OK, so i know there aren't any pics, it was a quick fix and even though i made it wordy, the point is, remove the outer shift boot (just pops off), wedge something tightly between the very bottom of the consil and the inner shift boot, and there you have it. Problem fixed. Sorry i didn't take pics, but good luck.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

id like to see some pictures
Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Hmm, i suppose i can pop the shift boot off later tonight and snap a few pics to show you guys what i'm talking bout... by the way, its been a few days now, and still no problems, and no knocking sound when in 1st 3rd or 5th
Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Default finally some pics

So i finally got the chance to go outside and do a few things on the jeep, in the mean time, i managed to take some pics of this great free mod for the 6 spd knocking sound... by the way, its been weeks now and still quite as can be. here they are.

Start by prying up the outer shift boot, seen in this pic, just pry up on the front and it will pop out from there quite easily

then locate the inner shift boot like you see in this pic,

Lastly, wedge something ( i used styrofoam wrapped in disposable shop towel, wrapped in electrical tape) between the bottom of the counsil and the edge of the inner shift boot like seen in this pic

I did this mod becuase my inner shift boot kept popping out of place and binding up the shifter making it difficult to drive. It just so happed to fix the tapping/knocking noise that i would hear in first third and fifth gear too... two for the price of one... well for the price of none actually Good luck guys.

Quick Reply: 6-spd fix for knocking noise and shifting problem