Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Air Horn

Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Horn

Okay so I have been thinking about this for awhile now and want to start working on this as my next MOD. I have read where a few guys have installed compressors and air horns, but no real details. Can someone help me find out more info, like what compressor works best (I don't plan on running ARB lockers in the foreseeable future), switching and wiring (I currently have OTRATTW on my pillar). I have an air horn already, from a wrecked semi truck that I was going to use, but all I have is the horn. Any help would be awesome.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just need a compressor & tank. I run a 2 gallon Viair tank mounted behind the radiator & a ARB compressor with a 145 psi pressure switch. I have a set of Shocker train horns and my air setup does great for a 7 second blast & takes less than 2minutes to fill. Hers a pic of the tank the ARB compressor is mounted over by the brake master cylinder Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3153763701.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	623402
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks SF Nick for the info, what ARB compressor are you running?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dstolp
Thanks SF Nick for the info, what ARB compressor are you running?
I'm using a ARB CKMA12. I run a front ARB locker & it was free with a PR44 order, it's a good compressor but kinda pricey. If I wasn't running a locker & it wasn't free I would've bought a Viair compressor.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool, thanks again for the help!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

The air tank mount that SF nick is using looks like the Dominion Offroad mount. It will not work for 2012+ Jeeps according to the website. I looked into doing the same thing for my 2012, but Brett from DOR said don't even bother.

SF, where are your horns mounted. Looking for a good place for mine. I have the Viair compressor on the brake booster and an SPod, so the driver side of the engine bay is out for me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reepo
The air tank mount that SF nick is using looks like the Dominion Offroad mount. It will not work for 2012+ Jeeps according to the website. I looked into doing the same thing for my 2012, but Brett from DOR said don't even bother. SF, where are your horns mounted. Looking for a good place for mine. I have the Viair compressor on the brake booster and an SPod, so the driver side of the engine bay is out for me. Thanks.
Sorry I just saw this. I mounted the 4 shocker horns in the rear above the axle. I had them mounted in front of the radiator in the engine bay but I felt they got too hot in that position.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Sorry I just saw this. I mounted the 4 shocker horns in the rear above the axle. I had them mounted in front of the radiator in the engine bay but I felt they got too hot in that position.
Thanks. I replaced the stock muffler with a Dynomax that dumps out right before the rear axle. Freed up a lot of space in the back. I was going to use that area for the air tank. I'll have to see if I can squeeze the horns in the area as well. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend adding a one-way valve between the compressor and air tank.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the help. However, last night while sitting on the couch I was browsing through my Quadratec catalog and noticed they have a complete set up from Kleinn. This setup comes with horns, on-board air system, and everything else I need to get it done. Has anybody used this set-up? Sounds like a no-brainer to me but wanted some more input before I pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: Air Horn