Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another DIY Door hanger

Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just built mine today. Great way to keep the doors off the floor and away from the kids and bikes. Now I need to get some mirror relocation brackets.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Just built mine yesterday! Love the way it gets them off the floor and out of the way.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Built and installed.
Pretty slick.
I would recommend adding another 1/4 length to the lag bolts that attach to the wall studs through the plank. You'll get more thread engagement into the wall that way.

Thanks for the plans.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do ya'll think the front doors weigh? I have a Rubermaid system that you clip on different hooks etc. Picked up some 50lb rated holders, wondering if these will work.

Just checked it out 61lbs.

Last edited by Deere_Jeep; 05-10-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea!

I got the materials at Home Depot last night, and noticed that each hook is "rated" for 25 pounds. I'm sure the manufacturer shorted that number to cover their butts, but I got an extra one just to be sure. Since the front doors are heavier, I have three hooks for the front doors to hang on, instead of two. (Back doors can hang on two.)

Maybe I'm paranoid, but for a few dollars more, the extra peace of mind makes it worthwhile.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by isuadam
Great idea!

I got the materials at Home Depot last night, and noticed that each hook is "rated" for 25 pounds. I'm sure the manufacturer shorted that number to cover their butts, but I got an extra one just to be sure. Since the front doors are heavier, I have three hooks for the front doors to hang on, instead of two. (Back doors can hang on two.)

Maybe I'm paranoid, but for a few dollars more, the extra peace of mind makes it worthwhile.
Good idea...I just built mine and the one hook for the front doors is sagging a bit...not an issue but itd look nicer if it stayed straight..

Thanks for the write up!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weight distribution

why not just put one front and one rear door on each set of hooks so the weight is lighter?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
why not just put one front and one rear door on each set of hooks so the weight is lighter?
I think the original plans have the arm hooks spaced farther apart for the front doors that are wider while the hangers for the rear doors are spaced closer. If they could be made uniform to hold either doors, I'm sure this would be possible
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice... kinda funny it seemed really small in the first picture until you got the size comparison on with the next pic and the doors hanging. Looks good
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks good.

But I am curious, why hang the doors at all? Does setting them on a moving pad or cardboard on the floor cause damage to the door? Just want to know if there is some reason other than it saves floor space.

Quick Reply: Another DIY Door hanger