Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another mans shift linkage repair

Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused.....(which is typical for me)......

If you could use channel lock pliers to "move" the transfer case position to neutral, couldn't you move it to 2WD, and drive off into the sunset?

Great write up, by the way!!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
Question: This modification fixes the shifter end. If the same bushing is on the transfer case end, what if it fails? One poster said they shifted the trans case by hand. I climbed under to look at the trans case and can't see how that would be done.
With the same bushing on the transfer case end the the fix would be similar. Just getting to it would be different. You can shift the transfer case by hand but it takes some effort. That's why I used a pair of channel locks for leverage.

The bushing on the transfer case end should be replaced as well. I just haven't yet because it is still holding. For the moment.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Owl
I'm confused.....(which is typical for me)......

If you could use channel lock pliers to "move" the transfer case position to neutral, couldn't you move it to 2WD, and drive off into the sunset?

Great write up, by the way!!
Yes, you are exactly right. However, I wanted to hook it up behind my motorhome and tow it for a few hundred miles. Getting it into neutral was what I was trying to do. I did put it back into 2 WD once I got where I was going. Then I moved it to where I could work on it and completed the fix.

Thanks for the comment!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeW
Yes, you are exactly right. However, I wanted to hook it up behind my motorhome and tow it for a few hundred miles. Getting it into neutral was what I was trying to do. I did put it back into 2 WD once I got where I was going. Then I moved it to where I could work on it and completed the fix.

Thanks for the comment!
Cool. Thanks for the reply. Is this the greatest Jeep website, or what!!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine broke yesterday at the beach, drove it home about 60 miles in 4high. Got it into 2H this morn by holding it on and shifting the shifter handle, will look into doing this myself instead of the dealer fix that will rebreak probaly.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Yup, that's why I did mine that way. I would have been covered under warranty too, but what's the point? A few bucks at Lowes and it has been working like a charm.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Angry

also just had this happen the other day getting off the trail in my friend's jeep, stuck in 4h, luckily it was on the transfer case side. we lined the cable end up with the shifter, then i just reached around the hot exhaust pipe (you can use it for leverage with your arm like i did if you want ) and slid the cable over the shifter and it held enough to allow him to shift into 2wd. just needed a little burn cream and away we went, got home and now need to fix it. thanx for the write up, we're gonna do this tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, if you remember, post how long it takes to do the transfer case side. I haven't done that side yet and I still need to.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T-case side:

ID of cable end eye: 11mm

OD of pin on the lever : 7,5mm

today I repaired
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default shift linkage repair

What should the finished length of bushing be ? Is it same length od both T case and shifter side? Gonna make some up for me and my buddy.

Thanks for great post.

Quick Reply: Another mans shift linkage repair