Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another mans shift linkage repair

Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I never thought to measure it before putting it in When I do the trans case side I will measure first........

Both ends LOOK to be the same, but I'm not positive.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

any part numbers for the lowes bushing so you dont have to cut it?????
Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

So, 2 weeks ago I was on the beach with my boys. After putting the JK back into 2wd, I noticed the wheel acting as if it were still in 4wd. Eventually, i was able to get it back in 2wd. Then today I went exploring a trail and then weh. I got back on the highway, it was acting like it was in 4hi still. I have shifted it back and forth between 4HI and 2HI over and over but the wheel is still acting like it is slightly engaged in 4HI. Does this sound like it could be caused by this same problem?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem makes the TC shifter feel loose because it isn't attached to anything after the little plastic bushing breaks.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Completely loose? Like, full movement along the track?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgwright
Completely loose? Like, full movement along the track?
When mine broke it had full movement with no restraint had nothing attached to TCase shifter.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine popped at the MOST inopportune time! I had just purchased my "new" 07 JK X from a stealership- it was at 2980 miles of the 3K warranty. It was the night of my bachelor party and already 9pm. One of my groomsman and I were rock climbing. As we tried to get out of a rut in 4low I tried shifting out and BOOM! It was stuck in neutral. My best man came and met us. After 45 minutes for the tow truck who was a total d^*>head we finally got her loaded I found out I was missing my wallet! I searched around the JK and groomsman ran back to where we were climbing. You could imagine my mindset already....it was around 10pm (bars closed at 2pm)...my wallet was MIA (meant no ID to get into bars) and my "new" JK was sitting on a flat bed..After my best man explaining my situation, the tow driver was apologetic and offering me advice. We crammed into his little yota and drank some homebrew while my wife came down an hour away to bring my spare ID card. Stealership fixed the bushing on warranty and paid for the tow and I got my lap dances with two hours of drinking to spare. Just thought I'd share how my bushing linkage nearly ruined my bachelor party.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

The issue isn't as bad as most people make it seem, a PITA yes but all you need to do is reach through the side of the console and put the cable back onto the lever and shift out of 4lo.This happened to me while in a parking lot. I now carry a 20pack of those grommets in my console. To fix it requires a allen wrench to remove the console cover. Either go fully modified with a zip tie or like the OP stated or replace with the regular OEM part.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bgwright
So, 2 weeks ago I was on the beach with my boys. After putting the JK back into 2wd, I noticed the wheel acting as if it were still in 4wd. Eventually, i was able to get it back in 2wd. Then today I went exploring a trail and then weh. I got back on the highway, it was acting like it was in 4hi still. I have shifted it back and forth between 4HI and 2HI over and over but the wheel is still acting like it is slightly engaged in 4HI. Does this sound like it could be caused by this same problem?
This sounds like the retainer clip for the cable broke or slipped off. If you look back at the beginning of the thread at the pics, in #2 you will see a "clip" that a bushing on the cable slides into. It is just in front of the grommet pin that usually breaks. If the holder for the cable breaks or pops off, the shifter will seem to engage or disengage at random. My retaining clip on the part broke at the same time as the plastic bushing so I just zip tied it in place. It just serves to secure the cable to the shift housing under the center console.

Quick Reply: Another mans shift linkage repair