Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another mans shift linkage repair

Old 09-28-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another way to go

Originally Posted by SargeW
There is an inherent weakness in the transfer case shift cable used by Jeep. The shift cable that runs from the 4 wheel drive selector in the console to the transfer shift case has a plastic bushing that secures the cable to the shift point. This plastic bushing can and will fail without warning, and usually at the most inopportune times. The cable itself is fine, heavy steel cable with an attached machined steel fitting on each end.

Inside the fitting a plastic bushing serves as the spacer to allow the steel fitting to rotate freely on the shaft on the shifter in the console, or the shaft on the transfer case lever, and as a pinch nut to secure the cable onto the shaft as well. When the bushing fails the cable will pop off of the shaft preventing you from shifting into, or out of 2WD, 4WD, or neutral. This can be a real problem if you are towing the Jeep 4 down, are about to tow the Jeep 4 down, or just want to shift into or out of one of the Jeeps low ranges.

The bushing has failed on me twice now since it was new in 2008. The first time it failed I had about 10K miles on the Jeep and was in Alabama. We were not able to shift the transfer case into Neutral to tow it so we drove it to a nearby Jeep dealer who replaced the bushing in the console. That took about 6 hours of sitting around waiting. We were not really informed as to the problem at the time, and were just happy to get back on the road. BTW, the bushing costs about .38 cents to buy.

This time it let go we were leaving El Capitan State Beach in Ca on a Friday morning. I hooked up the Jeep to tow behind the motor home and got in and tried to move the shifter into neutral. No luck, just a sloppy shift handle. I knew right away what it was. This time there was no dealer close, and we were do at the next campground about 200 miles north that afternoon. And there was no way I would get an appointment at a Jeep dealer the same day on a Friday on a holiday weekend.

Since I frequent this site, I was better prepared this time to handle the short term repair. First I slid under the Jeep with a large pair of channel lock pliers and moved the transfer shift lever into neutral. We were able to tow to the next place as planned. Moving it back at the next campground was a little more challenging but doable.

Now the fix. The only place close was a Home Depot. I knew I was going to have to take the console apart and get to the shifter linkage. That in itself was a little daunting since I didn't do it before. But it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

After getting the console off, I discovered that it was a two part problem. First the linkage had popped off of the "cable keeper" about six inches in front of the bushing. Second the shifter bushing was cracked and falling apart as well. Both would have to be taken care of to put the Jeep back in service. The biggest issue was going to be the shifter bushing. Replacing the plastic bushing with another one was not an option. It is obviously a poorly engineered part. (My research into this problem revealed chronic failure of this bushing, some after as little as 100 miles.)

After much searching at Home Depot, I finally came up with a brass bushing that was actually part of a Watts water line fitting. The diameter was close and I just needed to shorten the length of the bushing. I used a small pipe tubing cutter to cut it down to size. I did squeeze the end of the brass bushing a bit with the tubing cutter. I had to flare it back out a touch by pressing a pair of needle nose pliers in the end and turning the bushing as I pressed. To hold it on the shifter hitch lever, I went with a stainless hitch pin.

With a new bushing and a hitch pin to hold it in place the shifter now worked as designed. To keep the shift keeper on the cable in the correct location, a few zip ties will keep it from moving around. In my research I learned that the failure rate of the bushing was really common, and which end of the cable would fail is a toss up. Unfortunately you usually don't know that the bushing has failed until you attempt to move the shift lever. Often the shifter will select the appropriate gear range, and it's not until you try to move it back that you find out that you are stuck in what ever range you had previously selected.

Some folks had to get towed to a dealer for repair, and some were able to drive it there. As of this date, Chrysler has no plans to produce a modified bushing. There is an after market company that makes and sells a replacement shift cable with different ends, but it sells for about $200.

I was able to source a different bushing at a Lowes store today that looks like it will fit the bill without having to cut it down. The hitch pin is still the recommended method of holding cable onto the shift pin. It is the last pic.

If anyone in interested in how to remove the console, let me know and I can post up some pointers. But this post turned out longer than I had anticipated already

The whole cost of the repair, including the tubing cutter was under $20. If I could have found the bushing without the large nut, it probably would have been less than half the cost. The bushing I found at Lowes was less than $3. I bought two.......
If you want to go with another material, I used a nylon spacer (see pictures). It works very well but I had to use a Dremmel tool to shave off about half of a millimeter from the outside of the nylon spacer so that it would fit in the cable eye.

Obviously, the original clip was not designed to last. I suspect that Jeep is not going to improve it either, since it's generating repair business for their dealers. Jeep is not known for it's quality or precision.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Case.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	577623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Case2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	577624  
Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default JK owners beware

I just got back from a 4800 mile trip in which we did trails around Sedona, Moab, and Ouray. I had read about the shifter problems and bought 2 replacement bushings. I have a 2010 JK with about 60,000 miles. It has been to Ouray 4 times, Moab 3 and now Sedona. This year in Az. the transmission shifter cable popped off while crossways on a narrow gravel mountain road. I had all kinds of tools but not the ones needed to get the console out.... Finally got that problem solved only to have the 4 x 4 shifter bushing to come apart while in Moab. I will make sure that very soon I use one of the solutions talked about in this thread to fix my problem. In the meantime, I am gonna go get 2 more replacement bushings to have just in case.....
Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

This just happened to me on the TC side out on the trails by my house to my 08 2 door. Thankfully there were some guys out there that knew what happened because I had no service and couldnt figure out why it was acting as if it was stuck in neutral. How is it Jeep hasnt fixed this? I live in CT and if this had happened in the middle of winter when it was snowing id be screwed. Putting a zip tie on it for now. Anyone know of any real fixes yet that dont need to be homemade (don't have a lot of the tools id need yet)? My hubby found one online but no way I trust it where it says it fits 07-14 and reading this it seems the size changes from year to year..
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by giner222
This just happened to me on the TC side out on the trails by my house to my 08 2 door. Thankfully there were some guys out there that knew what happened because I had no service and couldnt figure out why it was acting as if it was stuck in neutral. How is it Jeep hasnt fixed this? I live in CT and if this had happened in the middle of winter when it was snowing id be screwed. Putting a zip tie on it for now. Anyone know of any real fixes yet that dont need to be homemade (don't have a lot of the tools id need yet)? My hubby found one online but no way I trust it where it says it fits 07-14 and reading this it seems the size changes from year to year..
I haven't seen any real manufactured fixes yet that are commercially available. However the ones that I cobbled together are still holding after several years. I don't see Jeep stepping any time soon to take responsibility for the failures.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SargeW

I haven't seen any real manufactured fixes yet that are commercially available. However the ones that I cobbled together are still holding after several years. I don't see Jeep stepping any time soon to take responsibility for the failures.
Damn was hoping by now there might have been something out there. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The only info I have seen from this is their video, but from their video it seems like it would be pretty legit. Idk.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ifter-upgrade/
Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
The only info I have seen from this is their video, but from their video it seems like it would be pretty legit. Idk.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ifter-upgrade/
Thats the one my hubby found. But for 200 bucks saying it will fit every JK makes me very skeptical.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1851 (800x450).jpg
Views:	445
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	585619
I purchased the brass bushing recommended at the beginning of this thread and it wouldn't work on my 2010 JKU so I just purchased the replacement stock plastic parts. While I had the console out (lots of work and sure wouldn't want to have to do it on the trail) I cut a hole in the side so I can get to the linkage to replace the bushing if it breaks and made a cover for the hole. I've never had it break and have over 33K miles and have done quite a bit of wheelin in that time. You can easily address this issue by getting the proper size stock bushings for your year of JK. Then use my attached photo as a guide and carefully cut a hole in your console and make a similar cover without having to remove the console. I hope this helps others on the forum.

Moderator: If you think this is worthwhile you have my permission to post it on the "write-ups" list.

Last edited by Clark Collins; 11-25-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Add me to the list of people to which this has happened. I was at my camp in 20" of snow and ice. Spent most of the weekend in 4 low and couldn't shift back into 2wd for the long highway drive home. Had to hike 3 miles to the top of a mountain to get cell service. Somehow managed to get a 3G signal and was able to look up online how to manually shift the transfer case. Luckily I had a crowbar at camp that worked perfectly to manually shift the TC. Mine broke in the console. I'll be working on a more permanent fix today.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default shift linkage repair

I don't do what anyone here would consider hard core off roading, but after reading so many stories like these I decided to purchase and have a local shop install the Advance Adapters upgrade kit. I wish I had side by side pictures to show how it compares to the stock system, but it is a significant upgrade. Afterwards the action felt much more direct than before. Now when I'm in the boondocks on a fishing trip I won't have to think about possibility of being stranded due to failure of a plastic linkage.

Quick Reply: Another mans shift linkage repair