Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another negative review for Rugged Ridge

Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another negative review for Rugged Ridge

For those of you considering a Rugged Ridge A-Pillar please read and be advised how Rugged Ridge feels about proper fitment:

Well I installed one and as I have seen many times it did not fit very well at all. Top corner is bowed in so far I can stick my finger in it and it does not line up in the rear. As requested by customer support (or the lack of I should say) I sent info and pictures. This is after talking to them on the phone and being told it should not be a problem to get a replacement. They are pretty much are not going to do anything said I could send it back to the vendor for a replacement or refund but apparently when you cut the tabs out to install switches you have modified the item and proper fitment cannot be guaranteed as per the vendor not Rugged Ridge.

My photos I sent:

Copied and past directly from email:

James Blue,

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #487906 with the following response:

Hey James,

I had a second to take a look at some installed here and they do come inward from the OE panel a bit. I did notice that they seem to be pushed a little bit further as I could not see any body colored paint. Take a look at the images and you'll see what I mean. If you want the panel to come out as far to the OE panel as possible I think easiest solution would be to put a small piece of foam or something similar behind that area. Unfortunately the only thing I could offer is to let you return it through your original retailer.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses.

http://www.omixsupport.com/view.php?...daf7b1043389f4

Thanks,

OMIX-ADA | RUGGED RIDGE | ALLOY USA
Tech Support

As per Rugged ridge the above photos are proper fitment.

My response to this:

to Omix

You joking right? It should look like this how about you put that picture in you advertisement. Also the vendor I bought it from will not replace or refund it because they said once I cut out the little squares to install the switches I modified it. So it is a 28 dollar part I will just share the photos and you email response on the Jeep forms make sure no one else buys one of these with out knowing the issues.

I have listed all the things I did to try and correct this and thanks for suggesting what I said would not work because placing something behind it will not let it seat properly maybe go back and read my last email. I really expected better out of this company.

End quotes: So I guess this is normal in their opinion, yes it is a decent switch holder just it does not fit very well. My efforts to correct this after the vendor denied a replacement exchange was, heat it gently with a heat gun to try and reform it. Place something in behind it to try to compensate for the bow in, That keeps it from locking in place. tried boiling it to soften the plastic and re shape but all efforts failed. So it is a $28 dollar part wasted the money is nothing just wanted the part to function as described. Would I recommend this part NO I would not I tried to support my view with photos and facts not just opinions. Please feel free to share you thoughts, success or failed attempts with this part as I will link it back to R/R in a reply email.

Thanks,
James Blue
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

A short time later I received:

Omix Support
11:29 AM (4 minutes ago)

to me
-- do not edit --

James Blue,

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #487906 with the following response:

Hello James,

I can easily send you another part but if it is not going to address your concern I saw no use in this. If you want to send me your proof of purchase I would be glad to do this, or I can contact your retailer about a refund for the pod itself and let them know we are willing to honor it through them. If you would like to link me to the installed photo you have seen that does not fit this way I would be glad to bring it up to my Engineering and QC Departments, but as it is the ones installed here do resemble what you have, I apologize if my reply came off as a joke to you.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses.

Thanks,

Tech Support
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure you installed it correctly? Only reason I say that is because I had the daystar one and RR one in my '08, fit the same but the color on the daystar matched a lot better. On the '12 only RR makes one. I installed it and it looked exactly the same as yours and was rather pissed at RR... even tried bending it and heating it without much luck.

Couple weeks later I was installing some overhead switches and when taking it off I looked a bit closer and realized it wasn't quite lined up in the groove. Lined it up and looks 100% better and fits perfectly Looked exactly the same as yours does in those pictures

Seems to need a bit more 'putting in place' due to the extra funky shape on the bottom vs the previous gen.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Yea I have worked this to no end.. I am going to deal with it for now I did not know Daystar made one I might look into that.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mblue
Yea I have worked this to no end.. I am going to deal with it for now I did not know Daystar made one I might look into that.
Unfortunately Daystar doesn't make one for the '11-15 interior. I was looking everywhere for it but could only find the rugged ridge one so that is why I went with it. They might of have come out with one recently but that was 6 months ago when I was looking so kind of doubt it.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this seems frustrating. I've had one in my 08 and my 13. The first one I got for my 08 was not long enough to even reach the glass (fit was in all the way, just had a huge gap) & RR replaced it right away. This was back when they were first released. The one in my 13 fit just fine. Just sharing my experience with this part. I have since replaced it with a lower dash panel because my trail cage interferes with the a-pillar setup.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mblue
A short time later I received:

Omix Support
11:29 AM (4 minutes ago)

to me
-- do not edit --

James Blue,

Hello James,

I can easily send you another part but if it is not going to address your concern I saw no use in this. If you want to send me your proof of purchase I would be glad to do this, or I can contact your retailer about a refund for the pod itself and let them know we are willing to honor it through them. If you would like to link me to the installed photo you have seen that does not fit this way I would be glad to bring it up to my Engineering and QC Departments, but as it is the ones installed here do resemble what you have, I apologize if my reply came off as a joke to you.

Thanks,

Tech Support
I'm not following why you're saying they aren't providing you with good customer support. I understand your frustration, but it looks to me like they're willing to assist in an attempt to get your money back from the vendor, or they're willing to send you a new unit if you just provide them with the proof of purchase. I had no problem with the fit of my Rugged Ridge A-pillar Switch Pod. Maybe it's worth a shot to let them send you a new one. Maybe the new one will come in new packaging, and then you could even return the new one to the vendor to get your money back? Just a thought. As far as customer service with Rugged Ridge goes, it looks to me like they're pretty good. Good luck either way.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smittycm
I'm not following why you're saying they aren't providing you with good customer support. I understand your frustration, but it looks to me like they're willing to assist in an attempt to get your money back from the vendor, or they're willing to send you a new unit if you just provide them with the proof of purchase. I had no problem with the fit of my Rugged Ridge A-pillar Switch Pod. Maybe it's worth a shot to let them send you a new one. Maybe the new one will come in new packaging, and then you could even return the new one to the vendor to get your money back? Just a thought. As far as customer service with Rugged Ridge goes, it looks to me like they're pretty good. Good luck either way.
In the beginning they were not.. If you read the messages in order it might make more sense. They were basically saying that this is the way it should fit but that is not how they advertise it. The email you quoted did not come till later after I posted up a complaint then they decided to work with me.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't technically a write up since you didn't provide instructions on the install and your results were not favorable. I will most likely move this to the JK Talk sub forum. Before I do anything, let me know if you'd like me to rename the thread to something more in line with your experience. I am fine with leaving it as named...

Thanks and let me know.

Scooby
Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

No offense but you come off as a way bigger jerk than they do...,😳

Quick Reply: Another negative review for Rugged Ridge