Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Auto Transmission Skid Plate JK/ Rubicon Express

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Skid Plate JK/ Rubicon Express

Purchased this from Amazon for $ 84 delivered, and it came via UPS. Always worried about the oil cooling line below the pan and the pan itself, this seems to do the job. It took me about 2.5 hrs. but I did spend some time cleaning and painting areas that were removed. First you need to support the transfer case, you will be removing the cross member and this supports the transmission mount. On a JK you have to remove the front cross bar(forward of the cross member, transfer case skid plate, the 2 bolts for gas tank/skid plate on the cross member. It helps if you are low on gas as you will be dropping but not removing the gas skid plate, I took all but the rear bolt out to get the front of the skid plate to drop about 2 inches. This will give you enough room to slide the cross member from the trans mount, after removing the 3 nuts that hold the transmission mount and the 4 bolts and nuts that hold the cross member.

Install the rear skid plate mount to the 2 front trans mount bolts (do not tighten down). Next remove the front exhaust bracket and the 2 bottom bell housing bolts. Mount the front bracket and reinstall all hardware / bracket. Next was a little difficult for me but it could be just exhaust damage to my Jeep, slide the plate between the brackets and the exhaust pipe and mount the plate to brackets. Note on mine I had to use a C clamp to move the exhaust pipe down a few mm's to get the plate to slide all the way back. Mount and secure all bolts (don't forget the rear bracket/ trans mount bolts).

Finish by reinstalling the parts back on and test it, re-tighten all bolts after good trail ride.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubicon express model # rea1013.jpg
Views:	1808
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	621380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bracket Bolt Location.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	621381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Mount with Text.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	621382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Skid Plate.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	621383  

Last edited by sjudson61; 08-13-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Skid Plate JK/ Rubicon Express