Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop

Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milkman
Jeff whipped up a quick view of the black as that seems to be the consensus so far. Here are both:
Yes sir it's confirmed. I like the black. However if I were to consider purchasing one I'd want the top black as shown, but to be slightly textured to match the top.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Jeff's other projects my goal for the ModuluS system was something someone could build on their own with some basic tools. The system itself is constructed of a T-slot style aluminum extrusion that can be ordered from a manufacturer cut to length in the appropriate sizes. I have access to some machine shops so for my unit I plan to get my faceplates machined from aluminum but you could easily make the main face plate from plywood. The slots allow for an infinite amount of configurations for mounting equipment or accessories depending on what your priorities are.

And showing how the slots are able to be used to mount accessories with Molle cutouts on the left of the basic panel.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

More progress today on the ModuluS system. The main frame plate and table molle plate drawings went out for machining today. Placed the order for a custom cut to size plastic cutting board top for the table and I'm reviewing my drawings tonight to make sure everything is correct to order the extrusion and hardware tomorrow.

In the meantime some packages arrived today. I received my assortment of Molle pouches to try different configurations on the plates and do weight tests and the wiper motor for my barn door arrived.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	564436  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Out of curiosity, what is the real advantage to this over the flip up glass? And what happens when the top comes off, does the back section still stay on the gate?

Very unique and inventive!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olyelr
Out of curiosity, what is the real advantage to this over the flip up glass? And what happens when the top comes off, does the back section still stay on the gate?

Very unique and inventive!
Great question, the long term strategy is this barn door will integrate with a complete custom hardtop that will have hard removable sides and roll up side windows like the pictures in the first post of this thread. Jeff has some concepts laid out and will be beginning work on it later this summer and fall. The design will similar to the TJ/LJ version that he licensed to Gr8tops as a 1 piece solid top that will also eliminate the sometimes leaky freedom panels.

Other options and what I hope to construct for mine when we are finished with the mounting and trial of the barn door is to use the ModuluS system to support a soft barn door like this.

I'm not sure how many people like their soft top roll up rear window but I can tell you I am not one of them. Other options for the factory hardtop would be to replace a broken rear window more cheaply and the barn door even with the smaller window provides a much better view out the back of the Jeep by moving the wiper motor to the bottom.

I am also working on a 3rd brake "pod" that would remove the factory third brake light (giving an even better view) and moving it up to the top/back of the hardtop to cover my hinge recesses left over when removing the factory hatch. Hope to have the design done soon to post up.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some concepts Jeff made before construction started on the Barn Door. The hard barn door was designed to be able to change the angle to work with the soft top also just in case someone wanted to keep their rear wiper with a soft top. To take the top down you simply remove the 4 screws in the barn door and lift it off the support posts to lower your top.

Notice the picture above with the hard barn door, it is cut narrow to accept the 2007-2011 hardtop door opening while mine is wide to accept the 2012+ style. The parts are made from the same mold and just trimmed to final size.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

That looks real nice. I have followed Jeff's projects and enjoy his creative thinking and the ideas he comes up with. My opinion on the barn door is to color match the top instead of the tub, if the top color matches the tub then still color match the top.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Jeep would make a hard top with all the windows removable. I think it would look pretty cool with the doors and windows off.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scratchkenny
I wish Jeep would make a hard top with all the windows removable. I think it would look pretty cool with the doors and windows off.
Not sure if this is what you mean but this is how the JKU top will work also. Easy to remove side and rear panels. The hardtop will be one piece and stay in place. So you could remove doors, hardtop panels and barn door but maintain a hard top over you for the weather. Because the hardtop is mounted securely with brackets from the tub and rollbars you could even have a loaded cargo rack on top with all the panels off.

Last edited by Milkman; 07-10-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default First Look: Third Brake Light Pod

I am working on a third brake light pod as the current third brake light would need to be moved when the wiper motor is installed (the shaft is too long). I am hoping to get feedback from the community on the style of light as well as the look and design.

The design incorporates a surface mount LED third brake light and two surface mount LED light bars that could be wired to a dome switch, back up lights or an independent switch. I've always wanted extra light especially for camping or setting up the roof top tent in the dark.

There are two styles shown below, a long pod and a short pod with different end styles and LED light bars.

Here is a straight on rear view of the long pod.

Here is a straight on rear view of the short pod.

And a side view showing the protrusion from the rear of the hardtop.

The system is designed to cover the hinge recesses left from the barn door. There will be a small slot on the bottom side in the hinge areas to get an open end wrench on a hex bolt. As you can see hinge recess plates like Jeff posted before would cover the chamfer that goes around the window.

I'm working to keep the protrusion to a minimum so that the rear glass hatch would also work with the pod so anyone could use this to relocate their third brake light and add auxiliary lighting.

Comments and suggestions are welcome including additional options for surface mount LED Light Bars.

Last edited by Milkman; 07-11-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop