Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop

Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I misunderstood Jeff when we were discussing the rear wiper motor. At one time we discussed the wiper motor arm interfering with the stock third brake light but he was able to design and find a wiper motor that worked. Attached is a picture showing protrusion of the wiper arm from the face of the barn door. With the cover on the rear this should be reduced down to 1".

So the third brake pod will just be used for hinge recess covering and adding auxiliary lights.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering, but whats the point of doing that to the jk rear window?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forestJK
just wondering, but whats the point of doing that to the jk rear window?
Everything opens as one. Eliminates the step of opening the window after you open the gate
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is a really cool idea. I like it and that LJ top is just beyond cool.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would anyone be interested in sliding rear windows to replace the ones in their hardtop? Jeff may have found a source to have these made up.

A few more photos of a slider window mounted in an opening cut larger in the hardtop:

One other thing about using this style is that the same size windows could be installed in both the early model and late model JKU hardtops - the early model windows aren't as long as the later models (there's a 4" difference), so if you've got an early model JKU hardtop you could end up with longer windows, which would also mean larger openings in the sliders. Doing the same size window in both models could also reduce the cost, because only one size would have to be made for all years of JKU.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Milkman
Would anyone be interested in sliding rear windows to replace the ones in their hardtop? Jeff may have found a source to have these made up.
interesting concept
any idea on pricing or shipping to Canada ?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very interested. Saw that thread a while ago but haven't seen any info on sourcing. Keep us posted!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

After searching online for potential clear aux lights I ordered a set of these in red and clear for the pod today for testing.

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/cyclone.html

If these live up to the hype at 1100 Raw Lumens in a 2" round package then they are the brightest small LED lights I could find. The bars I have drawn in the longer pod are only a couple hundred lumens due to the lens and much lower quality.

The aluminum extrusion order for the ModuluS was placed last Friday so parts should begin arriving this week. I was able to get a really good deal on non-standard lengths so I will need to cut the material to appropriate lengths when received. This will add a day or two on to my assembly time but I will get pictures up as soon as I start assembling.

Last edited by Milkman; 07-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got some packages in the mail today. Aluminum extrusion, hardware and some hinges I plan to use for the table as they have a removable pin so it will be easy to install and remove.

I hope to be able to get these to the shop tomorrow but have a full day of meetings plus I'm Mr. Mom this week as my wife is out of town on a business trip. Worst case these will be off to the shop on Monday and I hope to have an assembled prototype by the end of next week. This day job is keeping me from turning things around like Jeff can

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Milkman
love every thing about the whole project, but I'm really interested in the rear windows. I think most of the guys with dogs on here would be interested too.

Quick Reply: Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop