Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop

Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffe
love every thing about the whole project, but I'm really interested in the rear windows. I think most of the guys with dogs on here would be interested too.
Jeff is on the Alaskan Highway right now but is working through the design. I can't guarantee but it sounds like he may have the design worked out shortly and may be in talks with a vendor. The real challenge here is the hardtop surface is not flat which will cause the windows to bind because the assembly will have to "flex" to the shape. A flat surface mount will need to be made to be practical.

Anyone seriously interested can follow this thread and I will post information back here for everyone else as progress happens. I would really like a set with screens too!

JK "Barn Door" option for factory hardtop - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I received the KC Highlites Cyclone LED Lights on Sat and got some time in the dark to play with them. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how much light the clear ones put out for how small they are.

Obviously capturing pictures on an iPhone in the pitch dark is not the most scientific method but these were the tools I had at my disposal. These were taken around 10PM here in NY.

For a single light it does exactly what I wanted, a broad area flood pattern to provide some light behind the Jeep. They have them marketed in a kit for underhood so I moved it under there and was very impressed, I'll probably add one here to:

I'll keep looking around for other flush mount LED lights but these are the ones I'm thinking of moving forward with at this point unless someone else has another option they have seen.

Here's what they would look like on the longer pod:

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Milkman
I seriously dig this new Land Rover Defender-esqe back-end design with the side lites that gives greater rearward visibility!!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

After I tested the white LED's I hooked up the red LED to see how bright it was and if it could be used as a brake light. It is noticeably dimmer than the clears luckily which means you can use it for a third brake light and not blind anyone behind you.

So there is the option to remove the long thin third brake light off of the pod and replace with a set of these but I thought another good option may be to center mount in the spare.

**Where legal, some states may require to be above tail lights**

A quick trip to the shop and I found a thin piece of aluminum sheet (you could also find at Lowes). Since these mount with just a single screw through the center I whipped up a quick pattern and cut out a piece that could simply fit behind the spare.

For the wire I had a plastic grommet left over from holding on one of the plastic pieces or you could get a rubber grommet. Then simply remove your spare, install the sheet metal piece. The light is held on with a 3/8-16 button head, lock washer and nut (.12 cents at Fastenal). Run your wire through the grommet and splice in to the factory wiring.

For some reason I thought the third brake mount was bolted to the tire carrier like the TJ's instead of molded as one piece so I will need to cut mine off when I plan to remove permanently.

Quick Reply: Barn Door for Factory JK hardtop