Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Bedlining Door Hinges

Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedlining Door Hinges

I'm bed lining my front door hinges with tan rustoleum bed lining; I have already painted the rear door hinges and with the rear hinges I only sanded the clear coat off, cleaned it with paint thinner, then sprayed bed liner. For the front I bought a can of black and clear rustoleum automobile primer. Has anyone tried spraying the hinges with rustoleum automobile primer after sanding the clear coat, then spraying the berliner. Will this prolong the life of the paint job or will it cause it to fade/chip prematurely? Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found it easier to take the hinge completely off, strip it all the way down using aircraft remover. Rinse well with water. Blow it dry. Then use a quality primer and then bedline it. I used masking tape over the hinge pin for easy cleanup.

Also I left the door closed and removed only one hinge at a time(per door) so I wouldn't have to realign the door.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stixy9
I'm bed lining my front door hinges with tan rustoleum bed lining; I have already painted the rear door hinges and with the rear hinges I only sanded the clear coat off, cleaned it with paint thinner, then sprayed bed liner. For the front I bought a can of black and clear rustoleum automobile primer. Has anyone tried spraying the hinges with rustoleum automobile primer after sanding the clear coat, then spraying the berliner. Will this prolong the life of the paint job or will it cause it to fade/chip prematurely? Any advice appreciated.
I don't know if you did this already but I would use something other than rustoleum bedliner. Its not bad stuff, and it actually has a very nice texture, that I personally love, but this stuff fades fast!!!!! I have used herculiner and I find it a lot better. Its more pricey but worth it. If you don't have a problem touching it up every 6motnhs or so then go for it, but other than that this stuff aint all that fabulous in the sun. Maybe a clear coat over it would help? IDK

Quick Reply: Bedlining Door Hinges