Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Black center caps for my black Cragar Soft 8s

Old 08-17-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black center caps for my black Cragar Soft 8s

I had been wanting some black center caps for my Cragar Soft 8s and I surely wouldn't settle for the chrome caps that can be purchased.

Looking at my stock wheels that I had taken off, I noticed the removable center caps. I figured I could paint those black and use them with the new wheels.

I wanted to keep the ones I had with the original wheels so I went to Ebay searching for some more of the stock JK center caps that I could mess up if my project didn't go as planned.

Using the Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics, I prepped the surfaces with a light sanding and cleaning.

I laid them out

Painted them

Before

After

I used some cutters to remove the 3 studs on the back of the caps so that the caps would lie flush against the wheel. Then after zipping the lug nuts back on I used #13 o-rings to act as spacers between the cap and the lug nut. (This is because the holes for the lugs are large enough for the lugs to make metal to metal contact when being torqued down.)

With the studs removed, the o-rings are necessary to keep the cap from rattling around while I drive. I simply pushed them over the lip of the lug nut after it was fully seated on the wheel. I did not use an o-ring on the locking lug nut.

The spare with new center cap

An overall look

Last edited by CEEJAY5; 08-17-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good. I did the samething about a month ago for my spare cause I didn't like the unfinished look. I never had a chance to take a pic of it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found this and am bringing it back from 4 years ago because I think this worked out Great!

Last edited by 4DFUN; 10-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the same idea on my '07 2-door, only I matched the body color.

Quick Reply: Black center caps for my black Cragar Soft 8s