Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Boston accoustics speaker upgrade

Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Pdiesel- sell the BA's and put your Alpine's back in. There are many owners who would like to have more sound for cheap.
I don't find the "Premium" Alpines to be that great either. I will gladly sell Either set (Alpines or Boston Acoustics) The Alpine Premium system in my jeep is fair at best. The Infinity system in my previous Jeep was way better! I thought the Boston Acoustics would be an improvement.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepinjack
this thread wasn't intended to replace nice alpines...this thread was intended for the reg stock systems...which I had, and replaced my stock with BA...got a huge difference. alpines are nice, had them in my 08 Sahara.
I can't speak for the factory premium Alpine system, but if it's anything like my factory 2012 Infinity system, its sound is anything but "premium".
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
I can't speak for the factory premium Alpine system, but if it's anything like my factory 2012 Infinity system, its sound is anything but "premium".
Maybe it's just because my last truck had a radio with the knobs falling off, they barely worked too and it only had one speaker that wasn't "completely" blown. But I think my infinity system is AWESOME!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

I had put two sets of 77kick10 in my 12' 2-door that had the base system. The sound was much,much better. A small powered sub in the back and I would have been extremely pleased. My only complaint was the left rear sound bar speaker would distort below 10 setting on the volume. I recently bought a Willys JKU that has the base system in it also. I did some searching on Crutchfield and found a set of Kenwood KFC-1665S for $39.99 that got excellent reviews and came with the mounting plate and plug adapter making them plug and play (kinda). I was weary of a pair of $40 speakers sounding good despite the great reviews so I only bought one set for the roll bar since it is a 10 minute job. I put them in and they are garbage. Way worse than stock. The left one also is a little distorted at lower levels just like the 77kick10 did in my 12'. Any reason for this? I put the stock speakers back in and there is no comparison to the crappy kenwood's. Is there a reason the kenwoods sounded so bad despite the good reviews? Is it something to do with the stock deck? They say RMS power range 2-30 with a peak of 300. The factory radio should clearly fall into this range. Is there a difference in Impedance in after market speakers or something? I mean I am just baffled these sounded so bad despite the good reviews. I noticed reading the reviews that a person with a Jk gave them 2 stars (compared to mainly 5's and 4's) and stated they sounded worse than stock. Of course I didn't see this until after.......
Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thought I would chime in, put a full set of these in today and boy do they rock my world. For 120 bucks way better than I imagined. Much fuller sound, tons more bass and miss and much clearer.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a good radio, bought the new speakers at the dealership, packed the overhead bar with the pillow stuffing.....mine still sounds like muffled,treble-smothering crap; clearly I did something wrong.

Last edited by Justice035; 08-04-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody finding these anywhere besides the dealer?
Old 09-27-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Just ordered 4 of the Boston acoustic speakers, I'll post my results when I get them installed.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonl
I had put two sets of 77kick10 in my 12' 2-door that had the base system. The sound was much,much better. A small powered sub in the back and I would have been extremely pleased. My only complaint was the left rear sound bar speaker would distort below 10 setting on the volume. I recently bought a Willys JKU that has the base system in it also. I did some searching on Crutchfield and found a set of Kenwood KFC-1665S for $39.99 that got excellent reviews and came with the mounting plate and plug adapter making them plug and play (kinda). I was weary of a pair of $40 speakers sounding good despite the great reviews so I only bought one set for the roll bar since it is a 10 minute job. I put them in and they are garbage. Way worse than stock. The left one also is a little distorted at lower levels just like the 77kick10 did in my 12'. Any reason for this? I put the stock speakers back in and there is no comparison to the crappy kenwood's. Is there a reason the kenwoods sounded so bad despite the good reviews? Is it something to do with the stock deck? They say RMS power range 2-30 with a peak of 300. The factory radio should clearly fall into this range. Is there a difference in Impedance in after market speakers or something? I mean I am just baffled these sounded so bad despite the good reviews. I noticed reading the reviews that a person with a Jk gave them 2 stars (compared to mainly 5's and 4's) and stated they sounded worse than stock. Of course I didn't see this until after.......

The factory radio is match to your factory speakers in wattage and Mhz's when putting in after market speaker you wanna match the wattage best you can so the perform properly the mhz is the frequency they respond best at... (might wanna look it up though i am not the brightest crayon in the box according to everyone here)

Example: stock speaker 70mhz to 150mhz

Aftermarket speaker 50mhz to 220mhz

Again i do not claim to be right
Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Boston acoustic speakers today and I was surprised at how much of an improvement they are over factory. I have the base system.

Quick Reply: Boston accoustics speaker upgrade