Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Caught in downpour w top off. Lights, wiper, steering control for radio not working.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Caught in downpour w top off. Lights, wiper, steering control for radio not working.

Hi
Jeep 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport owner.
Wicked rain, drenched..top off...took plugs out to drain. Wipers and lights were working but not the next morning after the rain.
The air bag light was on too. The light has now gone out. Horn beeps, lights come on when I lock the vehicle.
But when I start it and try and turn on wipers, lights, directionals on or use radio controls on the wheel, nothing works. Windows, radio, heater blower etc all work.
Hazards work and so do brake lights.

Anyone have any good insight for what could be the issue. She is still drying out. But, could this be a clock spring or an instrument cluster? I want to have a grip on possibilities before I get hosed by a dealer.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't know maybe just leave it out to fully dry in the sun topless and doorless I've been caught in the Raina couple times with no issues or haven't heard of any issues. Wish I could be more help.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the dry out advice, it has been sitting at home all day....lonesome....hopefully she will be drying and ready to go, I figure that is what they are for....playing in the dirt and rain. I know torrential probably isn't fair, but just a little surprised and hoping to get it resolved ASAP.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had this happen a few times. Let it dry out then see what happens
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Clock spring it is

So, it is the clock spring. Non dealer replacement cost, $584. Scandal. I called the Dealer and the cost is $277 for the part, labor expected to be $160. Total $430, .....wow, the dealer would have been cheaper, who knew. Anyhow...word to the wise!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's a million write ups on it if your inclined to cut the cost in half or more
Old 08-19-2015, 12:35 PM
jdk
JK Freak

Close your vents and ride with the heater on high it heats up everything behind the dash and might help out your issue.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Problem is.... you thought you were in a jeep but you were actually in a Jeep (TM).

Quick Reply: Caught in downpour w top off. Lights, wiper, steering control for radio not working.