Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Cheap Lighted Cupholders. . .

Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Lighted Cupholders. . .

For those that want to do this. I tried lots of different lighting ideas and ended up settling on the 5' "El Neon String" by "Optx by StreetGlow". $20 at Parts America.

I just pulled the cup holders out, drilled a little hole down through the bottom corner at a 45 degree angle (towards the passenger foot well), fished a wire down through the hole, taped the neon to the string and pulled it up in to the cup holder area. I wrapped the neon string around the bottom area a couple times, and then just stuck the cup holders back in. (The rubber cup holder just pulls out.)

The rest of the string was tucked up under the side of the console and the transformer was zip tied to a bracket behind the glove box. (The glove box just comes off by squeezing the two sides in and rotating it down.) You can also ground the transformer to a bolt on that same bracket. I then tied the positive wire in with the dash light wire behind the center stack. (Orange wire w/ gray stripe.)

The little "pillows" in the cup holders have openings at the bottom, so a dim blue glow comes from those 3 areas on each cup holder. Not intrusive at all, and no L.E.D's blinding you.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the whole install, just the finished product.

Last edited by Hip2u77; 05-03-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Cool idea, have to try it.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea baby ..was going to do the same thing thanks for the info..!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Can you post a pic of the hole u drilled to fish the wire through and then post a pic of where the wire is that you tapped. Thanks P3
Old 02-21-2007, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a JK so I can do things like this.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelW
Interesting reason to choose a vehicle.

Well thats not why I want a JK. I just want one cause I want one, but I enjoy little projects.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Default another option for the dark console

Very easy install of small led light tied into the dash lights. Installed right under the lip of the center console lid so you can not see the source of the light when sitting in front. The leds are red so it does not interfere with your night vision. It cast a dim red glow over the entire center console and illuminates the rocker switches on the center stack pretty nice. Thats about as high as the light shines where it is mounted. I just ordered another one for inside the center storage area since its such a pain to find anything in there at night without turning on the dome light. The second picture is very hard to see even with the light turned up to full brightness since taken at night with no flash. Just trying to give an idea of the light coverage. About $13. from http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Old 03-16-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I bought the same el wire but am having problems locating a power source to tie into. Yous aid you used an orange wire behind the center stack? Did you have to remove the center stack to get to it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03stage2
I bought the same el wire but am having problems locating a power source to tie into. Yous aid you used an orange wire behind the center stack? Did you have to remove the center stack to get to it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Yes, center stack removal is necessary. A full write up is here on the forum somewhere, it's easy to get out. You are looking for an orange wire with a gray strip, it is part of the wire bundle that goes to the back of the HVAC panel. While you are in there you can tap off one of the ground wires that go the the power outlets for your ground connection.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

I did mine the other day, lights under the cup holders. But i didn't want to rip the consol apart so i have mine running off of 2 AAA batteries. I put the batterie pack in the center consol (velcro'd to the inside, above that little "pocket tray" in there) then installed an on/off switch where DSY put his led's (between cup holders and glove box). I already had wire and batteries and payed about $10 for 8 led's ( 4 green and 4 red, they came in packs of 2 ) only needed 3 x 3, on/off switch, and the battery holder.
If anybody is interested i can post pics. It was pretty easy to run the wires from cup holder to center consol, you can get to them thru the "hair" on the slot for the emergency brake and shine a flashlight thru the hole where the consol door latches.

Quick Reply: Cheap Lighted Cupholders. . .