Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Clockspring Replacement

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiKing
I have an 08. I did all the paperwork to be reimbursed for my jeep and was denied. They said the recall sis not affect my jeep, even though I showed them that the part numbers were the same.
It isn't actually a recall on certain '07s. They extended the warranty to 10 yrs/150K miles on the clockspring. Affected owners received a letter. I had the airbag light/ding about two years ago three times, then never again. At about 135K miles noticed horn wasn't working. They replaced my clockspring at 145K miles. No cost, no hassles, no paperwork (for me).
The following users liked this post:
thenativegarden (02-18-2022)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have an 08 JK 2 door

And replaced mine today. Chrysler was no help when I asked about a recall.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all JKs have this issue? What causes the failure?

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Replaced mine today with this write up. Thanks OP. Here's a pic of mine. Pretty dirty. At least there's no more seat belt light or chime (knock wood). It's gotta be that the contacts get dirty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141118_185108.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	584793

Just a couple pointers I found when doing this. For some reason my steering column didn't lock so when i went to tighten the wheel nut bolt the wheel turned on me. Make sure it's locked before you undo the battery. Also the screw on the right side of the top of the clockspring is a bitch to get at bc of the angle of the steering column. The T10 screw driver didn't work - too long. Had to use a 1/4" ratchet and T10 driver with a 1/4" socket. The head still hit the instrument cluster. Also stuff a rag into the hole in the dash over the column. Stops the screws from dropping down in behind lol.

Last edited by rokklymer; 11-20-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy replaced clockspring and now...

Granted I don't post much here but this forum has been a great help to me !

I replaced the clockspring assemby and no more airbag/chime. BUT now I have a BAS and traction control lights lit... ANY IDEAS?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The first time driving the jeep after clock spring replacement my 4wd indicator didn't work and the rear locker indicator was flashing (weird). I popped the battery again and let it sit. When I hooked it back up everything was fine. Not sure if this will help but worth a shot.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by demoderbydave
Granted I don't post much here but this forum has been a great help to me !

I replaced the clockspring assemby and no more airbag/chime. BUT now I have a BAS and traction control lights lit... ANY IDEAS?
Like everything else in my life...HINDSITE is 20/20. Apparently I CAUSED my own misery ONCE AGAIN...
I thought that the plastic yellow tab was simply a "shipping plug" and simply removed it before installing it.

UNFORTUNATELY that apparently is what sets "true center" on the clockspring and is not supposed to be removed until the wheel is installed...

I should have looked on youtube BEFORE I started this project. Hopefully it is something someone can reprogram through the obd2 connector... and hopefully it doesnt ruin the 160 buck part... I also installed a hardtop wiring kit that needs to be programmed into the cars brain as well...

Last edited by demoderbydave; 11-25-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Old thread, but anyone have trouble removing the wheel? Mine come out a little and it's like there's a stopper or another something needs to be taken out.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Uh.... Un--regard. I apparently wasn't wearing the correct man panties. And I should have locked the wheel first. It was tilted left a little and not locked
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Ok, legit question. What happens if I pull yellow tab on the new on before installing the wheel? My wheel was ****ed to about 1030 or so. I've got my turn signal and wiper control installed and the clockspring is back in place but I didn't go any more steps because I don't want to pull the tab and have the thing unwind or anything.

Quick Reply: Clockspring Replacement