Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Cobra CDR 830 dash cam review.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra CDR 830 dash cam review.

So recently I purchased the Cobra CDR 830 dash cam in hope that it would meet my needs as a daily dash cam and a trail cam.

Manufacturers web site:
https://www.cobra.com/products/dash-cams/cdr-830

So out of the box it is designed to be plug and play set up is really simple if you can operate a standard GPS device you could operate this camera.

Cost: $154 shipped. Arrived in 2 days.

Perk: Out of the box ready to run
Camera comes on with ignition
Mount has GPS sensor mounted to it but it is removable for custom placement.
Camera is very small easy to hide.

Cons: Cobra tech support is far from great, they do not return calls and hold times are in the 1 hour range.
Cobra Dash Cam software for viewing on computer does not function as advertised (all I get is a blank). I will update on this later.

Would I recommend this camera? After getting the software to work properly I would say YES, it has exceeded my expectations, and has many great features.

So over all construction of the camera is of any typical digital camera you you get at you local department store.

(Some photos I was un-able to rotate bugs my OCD)

Accessories.

Everything that comes in the box.

Camera has a pretty good connection point.

Video footage was shot on a military base with private roads, off road trails are designed for off road vehicles, all trails/paths/road are being legally used in this video. Wind noise in the video was with windows down.

Video shot in 720P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNat66vfeFs&list=UUoy2hJJ1aKYITdP91hBIA2A Video shot in 1080P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGBda3TsZCo&list=UUoy2hJJ1aKYITdP91hBIA2A Please feel free to comment negative or positive, your thoughts on the camera is not going to hurt my feelings. I hope this review helps someone in making a decision I will update when I have a little more use on the camera.

Temporary mounting location. When I have my overhead console rebuilt it will be integrated as part of it. GPS module is remove able for custom placement.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the post.
I have been looking for an "In Car Camera" for a while. I set up a GoPro and it does work good. However it does have several draw backs. I guess the main big problem is that it can not be set up to come on and go off with ignition. I kind of worry about leaving the Jeep with a 400 dollar camera in plain site even if it is sort of hidden behind the rear view mirror.
Yes I can pop it off and unplug it from the USB but it is a pain to do it. Then what do you do with the camera?

The resolution at 1080 was great in the daytime. At night in the rain you could barely tell what you were even looking at.

I will look into one of these Cobra units. Everything they make has a good quality to it.

So what was the issue dumping the video onto your computer? (Learning curve?) Its alright I am an old guy and all this technology just blows my mind sometimes.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Thanks for the post.
I have been looking for an "In Car Camera" for a while. I set up a GoPro and it does work good. However it does have several draw backs. I guess the main big problem is that it can not be set up to come on and go off with ignition. I kind of worry about leaving the Jeep with a 400 dollar camera in plain site even if it is sort of hidden behind the rear view mirror.
Yes I can pop it off and unplug it from the USB but it is a pain to do it. Then what do you do with the camera?

The resolution at 1080 was great in the daytime. At night in the rain you could barely tell what you were even looking at.

I will look into one of these Cobra units. Everything they make has a good quality to it.

So what was the issue dumping the video onto your computer? (Learning curve?) Its alright I am an old guy and all this technology just blows my mind sometimes.

I have to learn how to work the program. I was tiring to open the video with Cobra rather than opening the cobra program then finding the video through the program.. Easy stuff, I just did a night run with the camera and it is pretty useless at night, it picks up lights, but looks like you are driving in a black hole. But I am very pleased with the camera.

Edit:

Night drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoP...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by mblue; 09-13-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Well I have the camera boxed up and ready to mail back. For a daily dash cam it is great, the GPS function is hit or miss and the Cobra dash player software is hit or miss. Sometimes it works great sometime it will not load. For off road use it does not function very good, color contrast is off and when in sandy/reflective condition video quality is kinda poor. I am going to continue to search for a camera that I think I would work sounds like GoPro is the way to go. I just would like to have something that powers on and off with the ignition and has capability to record to an external device.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

I have ITB100HD, records in 1080p at 24fps. good quality. videos are great, and it's a very compact camera! check it out

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4183237968.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	575622

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1478622591.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	575623
Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Great read on the Go Pro, looks like they will have the attachment to make the Go Pro power on and off with ignition and auto record at power up.. The lack of this option is why I did not choose the Go Pro being that this is soon to be available I will be doing Go Pro.

Quick Reply: Cobra CDR 830 dash cam review.