Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Custom JK Grille Screen write-up

Old 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom JK Grille Screen write-up

Hey folks! I've been wanting to do this write-up for awhile now to show off what I feel is a much better look than using gutter guard for the grille. There are plenty of picks and I hope easy instructions to follow. I installed a new grille this week and wanted to show you step-by-step how I did my grille.

Here are the parts needed:
1 - pack of 10 1"x1" mounting base for zip ties - $2.30 for 10 (you only need 8)
8 - 8" zip ties - $2.50 for 50 pack
1 - tube of DAP Marine Sealant - $3.00
1 - sheet of Lightweight Alloy 3003 Aluminum Perforated Sheet (Google this and there are many places that sell this for less than $20)

I painted mine with bedlining paint prior to todays project.

Make sure the back side of the grille is really clean, I mean really, really clean. I used some alcohol to clean mine.

Before placing the mounting tabs, remove the double sided tape from them. The marine sealant works much better without that stuff on the tabs.

Place a liberal amount of sealant on the back and around each side of the mounting tabs. Any excess can be rubbed off very easily after it dries. Be sure to let the sealant drive for at least 1 hour.

Place the screen on the grille.

Start weaving the zip ties starting on one end of grille like pictured below. (DO NOT ZIP THEM DOWN YET)

Once you have them all on, you can now since them tight. Do not since them to tight as they may pull off the mounts if you didn't let them dry long enough.

Once you have all the zip ties tightened down, you can cut the ends off of the zip ties.

Here it is as a finished project.

Here it is back on the Jeep.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Looks good; with the added bonus of matching your blacked out Jeep badge nicely.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Where did you get it and what size are the holes in the sheet?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice Thanks for the write-up.

Did you use some kind of primer on the aluminum prior to bedlining??
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

No primer used. The sheet I bought was big enough for 2 jeeps. I got mine from McMaster Carr online. The holes are 1/4"

Last edited by HELLBENDER-JK; 04-20-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom JK Grille Screen write-up