Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Custom mud Flaps

Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Custom mud Flaps

montana has a mud flap law... no more than 21 inches of tread face can be showing on the highways and roads.

I loved the teraflex idea of removable ones.

Just didn't think I had to pay for them... so I spent 2 hours and made my own.

So here's what I did:

1.) I drilled two small holes in the pinch seem about 1/2 inch apart at the rear of the tub where it joins with the back peice.

2.) I bent and drilled a 1/8 inch spring steel peice I had in the garage and made it 6 inches long from the bend- with two holes -one drilled 1/2 inch out from the seem and the other 5 inches beyond it.

3.) tightened it down with lock washers and bolts to the body.

4.) I already had a heavy ribbed fiberglass/rubber mat that my wife had thrown out- any similar material or store bought mats could be used.

5.) Using eye bolts and wing nuts and a 6 inch chunk of metal with 4 holes dirlled I attached the metal to the top of the flap. With the two eye bolts lining up to the two holes drilled in the spring steel that is attached to the jeep. and the two other holes attaching the flap to the new hanging peice of steel. I opened the eye bolts in a vice- and threaded them through the metal and flap as well. I pounded them shut with a hammer so they now are locked shut.

6.) I stick the eye bolts up through the holes- spin on two wing nuts and I'm leagal!
For the trail I take the wing nuts off and throw the mud flaps in the back! I can replace the mat with wider ones if I want... just wanted to keep them as small as possible.

I think I spent about 8 bucks on bolts, washer, nuts, steel scraps, and eye bolts (had them all in the garage- so that is a guess) The mat was free... but If you wanted any flap could be used.

Pics attached.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579552943Xysuoa

You have to look at a couple pics of the new tires and lift as well...

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 01-22-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, Nice job on those! Look a little skinny but should keep the cops off your tail
Old 01-22-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Thats what I'm thinking- my freind has been pulled over twice in three months.

Quick Reply: Custom mud Flaps