Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box

Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ya Ron. I don't claim to understand why automotive manufacturers install electrical circuits without a fuse. But I also don't understand how the distance of a conductor would protect it from a short circuit? I remember reading about some strange properties where a short may occur on a generator circuit. But I can't remember where I seen it.
Maybe the distance has a lot to do with it.

The lead to the TIPM is an example. It's close to the battery, and the lead is not near anything to short against.

Our alternator has a fuseable link. Maybe because it leaves the battery and disappears in a bundle on it's non-direct route to the alternator.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up guys
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Nice write up. Does anyone know where or who may be making something like this and selling them? Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

nice write up...make me one
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I agree! If someone could make me one, I would buy it!!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Job BlueBruin!! I know absolutly ziltch when it comes to auto wiring. I can wire just about anything in a house but for some reason auto has always stumped me. But with your great and easy to follow pictures, I now have the confidence to make one myself.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted two blue seas on an s pod bracket on a piece of aluminum. One is constant, one is switched. I used a power distribution block mounted to the TIPM to splice the 8 gauge. Also fused both of those runs. Used an inline relay and pulled switched power from it out of the TIPM. I wished I had used all black wiring, to make it look cleaner; I'm going to put it all in flex loom. Now I have 6 switched and 6 constant circuits. Blue wires are ground, red are 12v. Relay is tucked next to battery. Will look a lot cleaner in flex loom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4125911051.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	401992

Name:	image-3991973555.jpg
Views:	1504
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	401993

Name:	image-2489036866.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	401994

Name:	image-1220998258.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	401995
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I mounted two blue seas on an s pod bracket on a piece of aluminum. One is constant, one is switched. I used a power distribution block mounted to the TIPM to splice the 8 gauge. Also fused both of those runs. Used an inline relay and pulled switched power from it out of the TIPM. I wished I had used all black wiring, to make it look cleaner; I'm going to put it all in flex loom. Now I have 6 switched and 6 constant circuits. Blue wires are ground, red are 12v. Relay is tucked next to battery. Will look a lot cleaner in flex loom.

Attachment 401992

Attachment 401993

Attachment 401994

Attachment 401995
Cn you tell me the difference between this set up and an spod that uses multiple relays?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found this thread. First thing I noticed was the long lead of wire to the other side of the engine bay that wasn't protected as a few have noticed. However even if the box was mounted near the battery there should be a fuse or breaker protecting the short piece of wire as well as any fuse bus it terminates to.

The blue sea fused distribution blocks look nice. I was thinking about mounting one behind the glove compartment or maybe in the engine bay. However I've been taking a look at the sPOD. It's costly, but after adding up all the components I would like to have to put together a fused dist. block, with several relays being controlled by Contoura switches in a switch pod with wire and all the other little things, my material is almost 3/4 the price of the sPOD.
Plus all the labor to put it together. Although I love that part and would feel kind of cheated having someone else do most of the connections for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackR6
Cn you tell me the difference between this set up and an spod that uses multiple relays?
If you use a relay to switch the fused distribution than it will only be able to power the accessories when the vehicle is on or the key is in the on position. The sPOD actually has power all the time, but incorporates a LVCO (low voltage cut off circuit) that cuts power to their block when the battery voltage is below 10.6V. They have the fuse block and accessory relays all in one unit.

If you used a fuse block such as the blue sea than you would usually use relays in series with the power coming from the block to your accessory (lights,etc.). This relay would be controlled by a switch that gets it's power from an accessory 12V circuit that is on when the Jeep is on and that in turn cuts power to your accessories when the vehicle is off.

There are a few different ways to ensure your accessories don't drain your battery.

The way sPOD is set up, won't allow you to have switches that have dual l.e.d's, one when the switches are powered and another when the load is turned on. I like this dual l.e.d option, but that's just me, I'm still contemplating what would be best.
From what I can tell, you could just put their switch power lead on a relay controlled by a switched 12V circuit which cuts power to the switches and relay control circuit when the vehicle is off. Than just add a dual l.e.d. switch and an extra ground.

*Another thing, although 50 amp max for this power distribution is probably enough for most of the stuff I would run off of it. I'm not sure I would want to limit myself. After 4 lighting accessories I plan to do would be about 30-35 amps. Not sure if the other (unknown) two would fall in under 15 amps total, plus I don't like to max my circuit to more than 80% of the fuse / breaker rating anyway. That's just me being NEC conscious.

Last edited by kaffeene; 01-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box