Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kadeem's and BlackR6:

I've now done both my blue sea setup and an sPOD. Thoughts: 1. The sPOD is way cleaner than my install. Even though I'm anal, it's 5 times cleaner. For a perfect looking engine compartment, go sPOD. 2. From a functional perspective, the sPOD limits you to on/ off switches on constant power (no ignition switching, unless kaffeenes suggestion would work, but then you're defeating the cleanliness and "perfectness" of the sPOD setup). For my uses, this wasn't an option. 3. The sPOD uses relayed power to every circuit. Is that critical? For 100 watt KC day lighters, yes. For Rigid Dually LEDs, no. So for your setup you'll need to decide if that's critical. 4. My setup gives you 6 constant and 6 switched circuits, all with individual fuses. You could piggyback certain circuits for additional taps. My setup gives your more flexibility. 5. For me, having switched was critical. On my switched are my radar detector and my Homelink mirror (for now); on my constant are my rigid driving lights, my rigid reverse lights, my airlift air shock compressor, my accessory 12v outlets (to be installed), and my accessory dome lights. 5. The sPOD will take 20% of the time to setup as mine did (I didn't compare costs yet, because I wanted three way switches with custom wording from OTRATTW. In the end, I'm probably close to an sPOD). In summary, the sPOD is awesome. It doesn't suit my needs, but its very cool. I load the rear of my jeep a lot, so I wanted A pillar switches to turn the lights on and off quickly.; the overhead sPOD wouldn't have been as ideal for me. But I'm telling you, it's a very fine piece of equipment.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up man.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Kadeem's and BlackR6:

I've now done both my blue sea setup and an sPOD. Thoughts: 1. The sPOD is way cleaner than my install. Even though I'm anal, it's 5 times cleaner. For a perfect looking engine compartment, go sPOD. 2. From a functional perspective, the sPOD limits you to on/ off switches on constant power (no ignition switching, unless kaffeenes suggestion would work, but then you're defeating the cleanliness and "perfectness" of the sPOD setup). For my uses, this wasn't an option. 3. The sPOD uses relayed power to every circuit. Is that critical? For 100 watt KC day lighters, yes. For Rigid Dually LEDs, no. So for your setup you'll need to decide if that's critical. 4. My setup gives you 6 constant and 6 switched circuits, all with individual fuses. You could piggyback certain circuits for additional taps. My setup gives your more flexibility. 5. For me, having switched was critical. On my switched are my radar detector and my Homelink mirror (for now); on my constant are my rigid driving lights, my rigid reverse lights, my airlift air shock compressor, my accessory 12v outlets (to be installed), and my accessory dome lights. 5. The sPOD will take 20% of the time to setup as mine did (I didn't compare costs yet, because I wanted three way switches with custom wording from OTRATTW. In the end, I'm probably close to an sPOD). In summary, the sPOD is awesome. It doesn't suit my needs, but its very cool. I load the rear of my jeep a lot, so I wanted A pillar switches to turn the lights on and off quickly.; the overhead sPOD wouldn't have been as ideal for me. But I'm telling you, it's a very fine piece of equipment.
QUESTION: I just bought the blue sea fuse block on ebay for 36 bucks. My question is: Do I still need relays after installing this unit? or is it in place of having relays??
Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a custom SPOD system as well.

I used a Bussman fuse/relay block and I built a custom switch pod.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	744E0109-E134-47C4-A7A2-D5469045662E_zpswkbhjurd.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	581148  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
I did a custom SPOD system as well. I used a Bussman fuse/relay block and I built a custom switch pod.
What mount is that for your cb and radio?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mook8651
What mount is that for your cb and radio?
I custom made that myself. It a fair amount of work.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could make money building and selling them.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
You could make money building and selling them.
yeah I know, I've been asked to... lol
Old 10-24-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Well looks really good and clean man. Nice work
Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mook8651
Well looks really good and clean man. Nice work
Thanks dude Its a fair amount of work to built, but I like the clean look... its my OCD

Quick Reply: DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box