Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Easy build and straight forward instructions.

I just saved a ton of money on may car insur.... no wait... on my hard top cart!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Very Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

This is great!! Thanks for the write up I will be doing this soon (waiting for a soft top part).
Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome! I ran out to Lowe's and got the stuff. A few hours later it was all done and working great!

Thanks for posting this. I am a little worried about warping the top, so I plan on connecting all 6 of the holes at the base of the hard top. I did the first one and the top was splayed out about 1/4". I think it may have been that way when laying flat, though.

Thanks again!

Ishutzi
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for this thread... I made one of these as well since there is very little room in my Garage at the moment. the only thing I did that was different was carpet the entire thing since I had so much left over. I'm glad that I did, as soon as I took it off and rested it down it slid a lil' bit forward and clunked down into the space before the blocks in the back. no damage other than one of the plastic hinge covers cracked... which I will replace when going to put it back on in a month or two.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

I made my cart following the instructions here. I wanted to add padding that was durable and didn't think the blue foam that ishutzi used would be durable enough for me. After going a lot of searching I decided to go with an outdoor carpet I got at WalMart.

I thought the carpet would be wide enough but after looking at the pictures here I think I need to add more carpeting to the edges.

I plan on building another cart like this since my wife and I both own JKs, but I think I will make mine with larger casters that can roll on grass so I can wheel the top into the back yard since my garage is almost always too full. I'm also thinking about building a cart for the doors too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	36702
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	29088  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

carpet the sides too, the hardtop scratches SO easily it's not even funny and the more protection the better.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

The problem with carpet is it seems like you can either buy a really large piece to cover ten carts or one small piece to do what I just did with mine, which was not enough.

I'd like to find some kind of durable cover that could protect the top.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default my dolly!

I "resurrect" this topic mostly to thank Riptyd ... mod is awesome! Simple yet effective.

Using yours as 'inspiration' I made my own, done with some wood, many (many) screws, 4 little wheels an some carpet ...
It came slightly different as I could not find the same size for the materials, but it is ok.
When not in use I lay it against the wall, so is also not taking up space

http://www.live2drive.net/public/att...bor_05_132.jpg

In use:
http://www.live2drive.net/public/att...bor_07_722.jpg
Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I am off to the hardware store!

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart