Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Do NOT buy from Treadwright (Long Read)

Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do NOT buy from Treadwright (Long Read)

I haven't posted in a while. Sold my JK about a year and a half ago :( however I'm back in the game now with a 98 XJ. I lifted it and bought some tires for it, and that experience turned out to be god awful. I've posted this to Jeepforum, Cherokeeforum, and Jeepsunlimited as well to keep others from going through what I've dealt with already. So here we go.

So, here is my personal experience to warn others from making my mistake. I read all of the threads on here, and Jeepforum about retreads, and after hearing some good things, I decided to pull the trigger on 5 31x10.5x15 Guard Dog's. HUGE mistake on my part. Saying that I am aggravated by my current situation is an incredible understatement. Let me apologize in advance if theres any typo's, since my blood is boiling, I'm not taking my time to type.

I ordered the tires about a month ago, took them straight to the shop to get them mounted and balanced. The tire shop called me into the bay, as there was an issue. When they went to balance them (in the STATIC setting), 4 of the tires required insane amounts of weight ranging from 12-15oz. Only ONE of the tires balanced to spec at 2.5oz. Faced with this dilemma, I had the shop remove the tires and order a set of 31" Cooper STT (Which I'm loving). So, I call Treadwright the following Wednesday (I'm in the military and was on a CAS trip, so it was the first chance I had). The girl on the phone talked to me as if she had no idea what she was doing. I told her that I wanted to return the tires, as I was extremely unhappy with the craftsmanship, and I have no need for them as I ordered another brand of tires. She told me that I would be able to return them. I asked her about how I would go about getting some billing information for shipping (so I wouldn't have to pay for it myself) and she told me that she would call me back with this information. I informed her that I was working on the range, and if I wasn't able to answer, that she should leave me an email. Well, no call back and no voicemail. So when I got back from my TDY, I called back (even though it took about 4 calls for them to pick up)

Low and behold, it was the same girl, who acted like she had no idea about the situation I had spoken to her previously about. I get it, they're busy, but damn. So I re-explained my problem to her and she informed me that I couldn't just send them back, I would have to file a warranty claim on their website. Angrily, I did just that. I got my shop to write me an invoice stating that the tires were unsuitable for road use, and that they did not recommend that I drove on them. So last week I received a voicemail from her. She said "my manager looked at your warranty claim, and says that it would be ok for you to send them back for exchange, or for a refund".

This week, I've been trying to call them at least three times a day, with nothing but an answering machine. Finally, today I got in touch with her after calling twice. Again, I had to explain my situation and she told me that I would have to send them back on my OWN dime so that they could inspect them and see if they would be able to refund my purchase. I told her that I expect to be refunded my shipping charges, and she told me that she was unsure that her manager would authorize it. I explained that if they wouldn't have send me a substandard product to begin with, that I wouldn't even be in this mess, and she started acting as if I was a moron for wanting to be reimbursed for shipping.

Finally having enough, I asked to speak with her manager. She snidely agreed, and "transferred" me. I sat on hold for about 3-4 minutes, at which time all I heard i the background was "ugh, why did it transfer him back to me" at which time she abruptly hung up the phone. I tried calling back 7-8 times, leaving 2 voicemails to no avail. I called their 877 number for sales, to see if they could forward me, as I felt like they were purposely not answering my calls. The lady I spoke with was very apologetic and told me that she was sorry, but she was in a different state as the "customer service" branch in Texas. She told me that she also could not reach anyone that the warranty claim office.

I can't say that I have ever dealt with a customer service as piss poor as Treadwrights in my entire life. I just want my f$@#ing money back. Even if they would exchange my tires for the best tires in the world, I wouldn't want them. I want absolutely NOTHING to do with this company any further. I'm having my shop send the tires back for me, and I expect to get every penny I've spent on the tires and the shipping back in my wallet.

One thing I would suggest to Treadwright, other than hiring a customer service staff that isn't god awful. Hire some people that, even if they don't, at least sound like they know what their job is. The girl I've been speaking to, who works in the warranty claim department, seemingly has no idea what to do except for what her manager tells her.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Here's an update as of this afternoon

I finally got through to the warranty claim department today around mid afternoon. Talked to the same girl who still acts like she has no clue how to do her job. She told me that since one of my tires balanced ok, they could send me 4 new tires to replace the 4 bad ones. I informed her that I don't drive a unicycle, and I need more than one tire to drive it, and explained that I do NOT want the tires. So I asked to speak with a manager, to which she got pissy. So I told her I'd be willing to wait to talk to him, as long as she didn't hang up on me again and I got to talk to someone other than an answering machine.

I spoke with the manager about getting refunded for the tires and the shipping. The girl told me I would not be refunded for the shipping, which if I have to pay for shipping back to them, will total up to about $300 in shipping. So I told her I wanted to speak to her manager, at which time she place me on hold. She got back on the phone and gave me the "well my manager says. . . . " so I bluntly said "ok so were you not listening when I told you that I wanted to speak with him, not you". She got super ****ty and transferred me to him. So I talked to him about the situation. He seemed irritated, as was I to say the least, and I told him that I wanted nothing from his company any more. He told me that he would call me back and give me information on how to send the tires back on their dime. Well, no big surprise here, I never got a call back. Tomorrow I'll be calling every 5 minutes until I get back in touch with the manager. I'm tired of this ****. I don't want the tires, and I just want to get a refund for the tires and the shipping costs.

On a side note, before I got back in touch with the warranty department, I called the sales office which is not located in the same state as the warranty claims department. The people I spoke to there were very kind and apologetic. If only the warranty claim department was as squared away, I wouldn't be ready to blow a gasket.

How they go about resolving this situation will decide how I go about spreading the word. If they continue to jerk me around, I will register on every Jeep and offroad forum there is and share my experience and show people that they should NOT support this business by buying their products.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope you get it worked out. There is no reason for people and get nasty with you.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karl434
I informed her that I don't drive a unicycle,
This was the best part of the whole story lol

On a side note, worst case scenario you will have to file a suit.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

If you can, try and record the phone calls. Check your state's laws regarding this, but if you can then you'll have them recorded treating you like crap in case you need to pursue further action. Also, report them to the Better Business Bureau.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

I am assuming you probably used a credit card to purchase these tires. If so file a claim with your credit card or debit card company. They will more than likely refund you in full and you may not need to return the tires.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

there is a good reason canada does not allow re tread tires on non commercial vehicles.

anyone who has drove on a highway and seen tractor trailers with tires bouncing and shaking all over the road...would know better than to buy re tread tires.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been using a set of their 35" tires for two years now and no complaints. One tire did take a lot of weight to balance but they did balance and are great in snow and mud.

Sorry to hear about your experience with them and hope it all works out for you in the end.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adgreene1
I am assuming you probably used a credit card to purchase these tires. If so file a claim with your credit card or debit card company. They will more than likely refund you in full and you may not need to return the tires.
This!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you are dealing with this. I agree with the person who suggested filing a claim with your credit card. Once they get that notice they will quickly resolve the situation. Thanks for the heads up. I heard nothing but good things about them so I called them to question their return policy and the customer service was not the most pleasant to talk to or knowledgeable for that matter. That was enough for me to not go with them. Looks like I made the right choice.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Do NOT buy from Treadwright (Long Read)