Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Door Rattle Fix

Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Rattle Fix

Hello everyone, a little preface on to my problem that I've had since day one. I have a 2013 JKUR10A and when I would remove my hard top and there was no longer anything pressing against the top of the driver side rear door, everytime I went over a bump it would rattle and drive me CRAZY. I know there are many threads dedicated to the infamous door rattle and I am aware that there is a TSB out there for it which call for the technician to just simply "apply grease to the striker plate and cycle the door" which I assure you I had no luck for me. I know others have had varying degrees of luck with the electrical tape fix as well but it is a temporary fix. I just wanted to post up my seemingly more long term fix that I think looks good as well. All you need is a tube of plastidip (not the aerosol) here are the steps:
  • Remove latch plate and backing plate with Torx bit
  • Clean latching bar with soap and water and dry it
  • Dip just the hoop into the tube of plastidip (you may need to hold the tube at an angle to get adequate coverage) and be sure not to coat the flat plate
  • Let dry for at least 4 hours
  • Reinstall backing plate and latch plate

Click image for larger version

Name:	latch 2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	572226Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	572227
Old 08-20-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Curious to see how long it lasts. Rattle gone?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by agoldxj
Curious to see how long it lasts. Rattle gone?
Yup, it completely shut up. I cycled the door 50+ times last night to test it out and there was almost no noticeable fatigue or wear. I figure I've coated tools with it and put them through hell and I'm yet to have to re-coat them so I'm remaining optimistic. BTW one coat was more than sufficient to get the job done, and I also greased the door latch with industrial grease while I was at it... she opens and closes better than when she was new.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

That's awesome !

Quick Reply: Door Rattle Fix