Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that helps JD. If you have any more questions you can PM me. The very start of this post into about the 5th page, there is a lot of info. The OP did a good job of explaining the process.

www.facebook.com/NewHorizonOffRoad
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Here is where I mounted my switch. Its always off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141014_135947.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	579906

Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Iv done a lot of reading on this, and I still need some clarification..

So to get this straight.

Doing this mod WILL also cut off my BLD and ABS in 4lo 4hi and 2wd.

Correct?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

It completely disables the ESP system. My ESP is always off, unless Im driving on the highway. I will turn it back on. Once back in town I flip my switch off just like my E-Locker. Its great..lol. You will have 3 lights on your dash that are constantly on. I ignore them. Im used to them now.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by swanny2369
Iv done a lot of reading on this, and I still need some clarification..

So to get this straight.

Doing this mod WILL also cut off my BLD and ABS in 4lo 4hi and 2wd.

Correct?
BLD?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
I understand it shuts off the ESP. but the ESP from what I understand is a system. A system that is compiled of the ABS BLD ESC Traction control basically.. soo what that means to me anyway. Is if I do this mod and turn my ESP off which in turn cuts all "traction controlled" computer systems to allow you to do sweet burnouts and s***. .. Now as much as I hate the computer cutting my fuel to grab traction in the winter time.. I also LOVE the BLD(brake lock differential) on my open diffs..

BLD is not something I am willing to part with, especially in 4lo.. But im not a huge fan of all the other "unwanted" features that traction control provides..

So my question again is this..

If I shut off the ESP system with this "mod" ... Does it also include the shut off of my BLD since it is all part of the same 'Traction Control' system?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I had a LSD in the rear and selectable locker up front it would be a different story, as I wouldn't want any power robbing systems in my way. But as the BLD does come in very handy on these jeeps, especially in 3 wheel situations where it is needed most, it feels as if I'm in a catch 22
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, the switch kills everything: ABS, BLD, ESC, HSA, I'm sure there are other 3 letter abbreviations that go with these, all of that stuff.

To me it is worth it. I only turn it off in off-road situations going slow, so ABS doesn't matter, as for the BLD, you can do the old school simplified version of just pulling the hand brake about 3 clicks to regain a similar result (I know that isn't as sophisticated as the computer controlled version, and only works on the rear wheels, but it does work). I just can't stand it when the computer throws on the brakes because I hit the gas.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

This thread shows two placements of the switch, one on the center console cutting the purple/light blue wire and one on the dash. Which wire is cut when installing on the dash? It is also mentioned that the original post had a ground wire but others are saying it only needs the wire to be broken. Does the system need to see ground or is just open circuit ok?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ade
This thread shows two placements of the switch, one on the center console cutting the purple/light blue wire and one on the dash. Which wire is cut when installing on the dash? It is also mentioned that the original post had a ground wire but others are saying it only needs the wire to be broken. Does the system need to see ground or is just open circuit ok?
The purple wire with the straight light blue line. There is another purple wire with a light blue line that "twists" around the wire. I just spliced into the with the straight light blue line. Its up to you where you mount the switch. This is the wire to cut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141015_142909.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	580006

Last edited by Philip *AZ*; 10-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup