Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Evap canister relocation with no Kit. DIY on the cheap

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should create these components as a kit and sell them???
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
ok just got back from Oreilys Auto Parts. They had everything in stock. Some may need to order the hose I used, but most should stock it.

Qty 3 foot Gates 5/8" Fuel hose Gates part#50018 (any 5/8 hose rated for fuel will work)
Qty# 3 Gates 90 degree fittings rated for fuel gates Part#28624 (no hose clamps needed when used with Gates 5/8' hose)
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 Bolts 3 in a pack Part #760-010
Qty 1 pack 1/4-20 nuts 5 in a pack Part #762-010
Qty 1 pack 5/16 fender washers 9 in a pack Part #766-109
Qty 4 hose 5/8" clamps part #5010 (will be used on the factory line connections if needed)

Total amount Spent $14.32 all purchased from the same place so no running all over town to acquire the parts.
I am by no means trying to discourage anyone from buying a kit, just saying it can be done cheaper if you have a few tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Did it by myself so didn't get any install pics along the way. Its really not that hard. Hardest part was holding the bolts.... Then I thought.... OMG Duck tape lol. Put a lil tape on em from the top side and presto they stay in place while you heave the unit up from the bottom and hold it in place with a 2x4 and then put the nuts and washers on from the bottom side lol.
Total time not counting the parts run..... 1 hours 12 minutes... This was taking my time, but I also cheated and used a battery operated impact.:smokin:

My run down on the step by step...

1. gather parts
2.remove rear seat and carpet from under it
3.Jack up the jeep and support it by the frame so the axle drops
4.Remove evap can and factory hoses.(the hoses can be a bit tricky, but once ya look at em youll figure out how they come off
5.remove evap from bracket and flatten the z bend out of it
6.reattach to bracket and hold into posistion above axle and deceide where to drill holes.(I decieded against cutting the bracket and used the single side hole,and then drilled 2 new ones on the other side)
7.install new bolts in passenger compartment using duck tape as mentioned
above.
8. Place evap in its new home
9.run new lines
10. Cut the zip ties holding the wire
11. Plug in wire
12.clean up the tools
13. lower jeep and reinstall rear seat or leave it out your choice...
14. take a look at your handy work and send me half of the extra money you saved...
Hi StangJeeper,

Thanks for all of the information and the great parts list.

I was torn between protection and relocation... the relocation route sure seems to be the best.

Is there any chance that the rear axle travel will do any damage to the cannister, or, is it tight enough to the pan that it won't be a problem? (I just don't want to overlook anything.)

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cesar
you should create these components as a kit and sell them???
There are a few kits out there already and I really don't want to step on any toes so to speak. If some can not source the parts local and absolutely insist I get them for them, I'm sure I could pick the parts up an ship them to you.

Originally Posted by Jeff09
Hi StangJeeper,

Thanks for all of the information and the great parts list.

I was torn between protection and relocation... the relocation route sure seems to be the best.

Is there any chance that the rear axle travel will do any damage to the cannister, or, is it tight enough to the pan that it won't be a problem? (I just don't want to overlook anything.)

Thanks

Jeff
I dont see any way possible for the axle to travel up high enough for that to happen. If you crack the evap canister due to axle contact, I suspect it would be because you were rearended by a semi. and the canister will be the least of your worries.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I see my next mod! Thanks for the writeup
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up and mod..

I took your idea and cut the bracket and notched it to allow for a fabricated Emergency brake relocation bracket using the stock mounting screws.

Heres what it looks like:

Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
Great write up and mod..

I took your idea and cut the bracket and notched it to allow for a fabricated Emergency brake relocation bracket using the stock mounting screws.

Heres what it looks like:

Very nice addition
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

thanks great thread
Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Edited, thanks for the write-up! After some head scratching and looking at other photo's, I got the thing done!

Last edited by TreyJK; 03-04-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

good evening fellow jeepers. I attempted this mod today, and ran into a few issues. I would like to see if any of you have had this same issue.

My evap can has 4 connections where the included pics only have 3. also my bracket is different and more of a skid plate. I think the different bracket will actually work to my advantage since i can just drill holes and mount it up as is. the concern really, is the hoses. the one extra i have is a small hose that goes over to the fuel tank. I have included pictures of what im working with.

this is where i want to mount it.

also, how the heck do you get these connections off!!

Quick Reply: Evap canister relocation with no Kit. DIY on the cheap