Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR

Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deepjeep13
Great write up ! Instead of just extending i routed mine right to the air box and i figured there was no psi in the line id use a lighter braided water hose. 3 to the air box 1 routed into the tail light!
The reason that everyone uses fuel hose is because gear oil and ATF are aggressive towards regular vinyl hose. It doesn't have anything to do with pressure. Just the vapors running through the hose will give it a light coating of oil. That tubing you used may work for now, but eventually it's going to get eaten away by the oils.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
When you ran the new line did you use the old line as a guide to pull the new line for you?

Kind of like fishing av cables through walls/floors

Matthew
Guide, yes. Pull line, no.

I documented (with cell camera) the route the original lines followed. I also used the positions of the metal clips on the old hose for reference measurements so I knew how long to make the new hose.

BTW - the original hose is "vacuum" hose MOPAR Part# 34611-B.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
When you ran the new line did you use the old line as a guide to pull the new line for you? Kind of like fishing av cables through walls/floors Matthew
I personally just extended what was there with a "hose-mender". That meant I didn't need to use the existing hose to thread the new line through. I did use a cord though to get the rear axle breather feed through. Way easier that way. Replacing the whole line is a bit more ideal, but more time consuming. Either way IMO gets you to the same result. If your lifted make sure to loosen the stock line from where it's attached to the crossmember for more flex. I would also advise useing a stainless steel hose clamp (worm drive) to reinforce were the breather tube attaches to the axle(nipple). Good Luck.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
The reason that everyone uses fuel hose is because gear oil and ATF are aggressive towards regular vinyl hose. It doesn't have anything to do with pressure. Just the vapors running through the hose will give it a light coating of oil. That tubing you used may work for now, but eventually it's going to get eaten away by the oils.

Crossing my fingers it doesnt!!!! Lol
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write-up Rooster! Gonna get all the parts tomorrow so I can do mine.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1001529031.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	546050

Any one run their lines inside the cab? You can see from the water line I'm a little worried that behind the tail light might not be high enough. I was thinking of bringing my rear breather into the roll bar. The front, t-case, and transmission I thought behind the dash or up the pillar. Worth it or waste of effort?
The pic is pre-snorkel and I'm afraid I might get really brave once it's installed.
Little tip if you like to play submarine in your jeep remove the foam insulation under the hood. My fan splashed it until lit was soaked which shorted my battery. Amphibious winch would have been nice too... Green dash LED's turned brown and jeep was dead in the water. (Literally) even with key removed and lights off there was a weird brown glow from the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-349200326.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	546048  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

I would not run the breathers inside the cab. The main reason is that if the gear oil decides for whatever reason to exit the breather cap you will have a mess to clean up.

Some people have reported oil coming out a breather after getting water in the differential or over filling.

JMNHO!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's how I extended mine for less than $30.

DIY Jeep Wrangler JK Breather Hose Extensions | The road chose me

-Dan

Quick Reply: Extend Breather Hoses with Pictures - Axle & Transfer Case - 2012 Manual 2DR