Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found my next upgrade
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will the cage work with the Mopar Sunbonnet for hard tops?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Only place it's different from a normal sport bar is the very front. So if you have door surrounds, no problem. If you just wrap the velcro around the normal cage, you would have to cut where it wraps around the handle I would imagine. I don't have one though.

Oh, and for the record, here are the rear streamer bars. They came today, but no powdercoat.

Also, here is the trim completed.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-12-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

In one of the first pictures I saw you had installed a rocker switch in the dash panel on the driver side above the speaker, maybe for lights. Did you leave that switch in that location? I too have installed several switches there and with the side access gone because of the cage mount I was concerned if I need to get back to those switches for replacement or wiring repairs. Would it be best to relocate those? I am waiting for my cage still so your pictures were great.
Any additional wind noise or leaks in the soft top now? Did lowering your windshield cause any issues for chipped paint on the hinges or bolts that were removed?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks awesome!!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DGOJK
Did you leave that switch in that location?
Any additional wind noise or leaks in the soft top now? Did lowering your windshield cause any issues for chipped paint on the hinges or bolts that were removed?

Thanks
I went back and forth before finally deciding to leave the switch there. I figure if I ever need to get in there, I'll cut a hole and install a larger switch panel or something. I did have to remove the wires to cut out the pieces I removed behind the dash, but I put them back.
I had a whistle right after putting the soft top up, but I was putting it down and up in 40 degree weather. Today I reseated it and no whistle.
Windshield doesn't cause any issues because the bolts are hex heads with rubber spacers. Of course, if you have hinge mounted lights, you have an extra step, and I wasn't expecting my hinge panel to fall off as I removed the last bolt. So I chipped it by dropping it, but not by removing it.
Door hinges you will chip paint as they are painted after installation. I'm probably going to take mine off again eventually to paint them with bedliner.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Your write up was very helpful. The install is a little more involved than I hoped but I am looking forward to working on mine when it comes in. I guess the unknown is part of purchasing a pre-sale product. I was told by an ex-OR Fab person that if there are rattles to tack weld the bolted pieces to solve that. Any rattles so far?

I must be waiting on mine since I ordered the gloss black. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/imag.../z0tdntknw.gif
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your write up was very helpful. The install is a little more involved than I hoped but I am looking forward to working on mine when it comes in. I guess the unknown is part of purchasing a pre-sale product. I was told by an ex-OR Fab person that if there are rattles to tack weld the bolted pieces to solve that. Any rattles so far?

I must be waiting on mine since I ordered the gloss black. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/imag.../z0tdntknw.gif

That was the thing that attracted me to this design. ***Disclaimer- this is my personal opinion** The fact that the design is just begging to be welded up or you have the option to leave the pieces bolted if you don't have the skill or the desire to go through the trouble of fitting, welding, removal, painting, and final install.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Awesome!!! I will be ordering mine as soon as I am done playing in the sand!!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I've had mine installed for about 90 days now. My jeep goes everywhere there's an event (typically without me), so it takes given a lot of hard miles. I did have it last weekend and I can tell you there are still no rattles.

Yates

Quick Reply: OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation