Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fix exhaust manifold crack with ThermoSteel

Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the symptoms of the cracked manifold?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by William

With parts it's around $500, it's about 2 hours labor. If a bolt breaks it could be harder.
Ouch. I figured that. I'm going to DIY it and see what's what after that.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by William
I just found the same crack on my 07. You do know it's covered under the long term warranty, 100k/7 years. They fixed it for the $100 deductible. It sounds like a problem that should be a recall, but... The original bolts back out and the vibration on the loose manifold causes the crack. They installed a re-engineered manifold and different bolts so it won't happen again. It also only happens on the driver side. So call your dealer.
You must have the California emmissions warranty, which is 7/100K on emissions-related parts (which include the exhaust manifolds). For the rest of us, it's only 3/36. Except those who have the lifetime powertrain warranty - and I bought mine 3 months before they started that .
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyluv78
What are the symptoms of the cracked manifold?
You can hear it. Sounds like a "puff puff puff" sound when it's running, which gets faster or slower with changes in rpm. Sometimes you can smell exhaust fumes under the hood, too.

Depending on the size of the crack, it might go away once the engine warms up because the metal expands and seals the leak.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by undertow119

You can hear it. Sounds like a "puff puff puff" sound when it's running, which gets faster or slower with changes in rpm. Sometimes you can smell exhaust fumes under the hood, too.

Depending on the size of the crack, it might go away once the engine warms up because the metal expands and seals the leak.
Puff puff puff. So it sounds like snoopdog is under my hood. OK I'll keep an ear out for it. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much for this idea. To anybody attempting this don't be an idiot like me and not mix the thermosteel like I should have. I had to scrape and sand all of it off and do it over, but I am now happy woth the results. I couldn't believe how quiet it is now...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tommyluv78

Puff puff puff. So it sounds like snoopdog is under my hood. OK I'll keep an ear out for it. Thanks.
Lol. Mine sounds like an exhaust leak right at the header when the jeep is cold. After warming up, it is less noticeable as the hear expands the metal and closes the gap. It just sounds like there is a hole. It is noticeable for sure. Buggy's the hell out of me!!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also just came across the same issue. Thought maybe the gasket bt no. Cracked manifold. So I also bought the Thermosteel. Worked pretty well. Cleaned the area really nice. Sanded it down, placed Thermosteel on it, then let it sit in the Texas sun for 2hr. Dan thing was hot. Bt it cured. I also put a lighter to it. Replaced it and BAM. Leak was fixed. Good stuff. Hasn't broken yet. I did press it into the crack and put a good 5mm think and .5" inch on either side of crack. Overall it has worked. Smokes at first. Bt good repair until there cash for a new exhaust manifold or headers.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

is there anyway to diagnose this without removing the heat shield. thanks guys
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Joeandericamoorman
is there anyway to diagnose this without removing the heat shield. thanks guys
Sounds like the exhaust is exiting under the front fender when the engine is cold.

Quick Reply: Fix exhaust manifold crack with ThermoSteel