Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Front Auto Locker Installation

Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you have it all back together now, but could you get the pin out of the carrier without removing it? (Would it clear the ring gear?)
Old 10-12-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Nope. There was about 1/8" more needed to clear the ring gear. I really have no idea how I would have done it with the carrier in place, between removing the lock pin and the cross shaft and the tiny springs. It was a pain to pull the axles but I did the u-joints anyway. Completely dry. Replaced with greasable ones.

I have a pic that shows the cross shaft and the ring gear clearly. I'll upload it later when I'm not using the phone to post.

Last edited by PG-JKU; 10-12-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's the pic showing the cross shaft and ring gear
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Nope. There was about 1/8" more needed to clear the ring gear. I really have no idea how I would have done it with the carrier in place, between removing the lock pin and the cross shaft and the tiny springs. It was a pain to pull the axles but I did the u-joints anyway. Completely dry. Replaced with greasable ones.

I have a pic that shows the cross shaft and the ring gear clearly. I'll upload it later when I'm not using the phone to post.
Ok thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these the kind of lockers that make a clicking noise while turning, especially on-road where traction is not an issue?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Are these the kind of lockers that make a clicking noise while turning, especially on-road where traction is not an issue?
Yes - the clicking sound is barely noticeable on this one - need to have the windows open and radio off to hear it. On tight u-turns it is definitely more noticeable and there is a bit of clunking coming from the front.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went down to moab and one of they guys had one of the lunchbox lockers, cant remember the brand. It clicked and clanked, occasionally let a loud bang out. But it performed great for him.

Stay muddy my friends
Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jade_Monkey07
Went down to moab and one of they guys had one of the lunchbox lockers, cant remember the brand. It clicked and clanked, occasionally let a loud bang out. But it performed great for him.

Stay muddy my friends
Haven't got mine to bang yet
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I put an Aussie locker(lunch box) in two summers back and one of the worst winters, it is great crawls like a champ up anything, mud ruts it can be funny with it but the good out ways the bad, as for snow I see your location is Prince George I think you'll see what it's like for sure, my impression goes like this, if there is unplowed snow on the road it's great pulles like crazy, steers fine, if a plow hits it and the road is smooth but snow packed it will want to wonder down grade and steer through turns, shut 4hi off and your great,, well like a pick up would be great but manageable for sure. keep an eye on your u-joints they like them, keep a spare.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jade_Monkey07

Stay muddy my friends
yes they can be noisy, like a horse on a road, click, click click around turns a heavy gear oil helps with that but it's still there. I would not run that oil up where the op is, could get thick up there.

Quick Reply: Front Auto Locker Installation