Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Front Speaker Install Write-Up

Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Speaker Install Write-Up

Hello everyone...I just finished installing Polk 6.5" speakers in my dash and thought I'd do a quick write-up since I couldn't find one for both sides. I started on the passanger side & followed the write-ups that others had posted...

1. Pop off side panel of dash, I used a flat head screw driver and it popped right off.
2. Remove glove box. Simply squeeze either side and it will pop right out.
3. Remove panel under glove box..simply pops right out.
4. Remove 3 bolts holding speaker box in (2 Golds bolts are 7mm socket & the other is a 8mm).
5. Unplug speaker box and literally pry the box out thru glove box opening (this took quite a bit of pushing and pulling because of the tight fit)
6. Remove three screws holding in factory speakers.

This is what the speaker box looks like with the factory speaker removed and filled with poly fil (the pic also has the bracket that was supplied by Crutchfield; the bracket required a bit of fabricating, but nothing too difficult just drilling some new holes and shaving hear and there.

7. Install new speaker, Crutchfield supplys plug & play adapters so this was super easy...

8. Reinstall...checking for sound before fastening everything!

Now for the Driverside:

As mentioned in previous posts this side is a true PITA!!!!!!!!, but it wasn't terrible it took myself and a friend about a half hour working rather slowly due to extreme hangovers from St. Patty's day parade.

1. Remove side panel using a flat head.

2. Remove approximately 10 bolts, I believe they are all 6mm, but I could be mistaken, that hold the dash and instrument cluster in place. Remove plastice piece below steering wheel; it pops out.

3. Remove (2) gold bolts (7mm) & two other bolts which are side by side (8mm)...sorry I couldn't get a good pic of this due to light and tight quarters. Also unplug box.

4. Now pry back dash and work the speaker box down thru the bottom....takes a little finesse but it comes out.

5. Install new speaker and and reassemble dash....

I know this isn't the best write-up but I hope it helps those who attempt this mod. The new speakers make a tremendous improvement in sound when combined with the Polk 6.5" in the soundbar!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great timing!

I just finished installing the same speakers in the soundbar and am about to start the front.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

How do they sound?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Are these an improvement over the Infinity's, or just the stockers?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The speakers sound amazing, quite an improvement over the factory ones & no I did not have the Infinity soundsystem. Adds quite a bit of low end and is a much more crsip sound....well worth the time and $$$
Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

nice work. are you happy with sound
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I couldn't be happier with the sound...now I just need the $$$ for the other sound upgrades I want...next being some Polk 1" tweeters, then maybe a Infinity Basslink II & finally the Pioneer D3 with nav...The old saying is sooooo true J.E.E.P= Just Empty Every Pocket....
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dlud51
This is what the speaker box looks like with the factory speaker removed and filled with poly fil
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but what's the advantage to filling the box with Poly Fil?

Thanks,
js.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default why fill

it is a sound dampening effect on the speaker box ....ever hear a honda drive by with twelves in the trunk and hear bmmmmmm(rattle rattle) from the out side. it will deaden the vibrations of the box and produce cleaner louder sound....i still need to fill my speaker bar. i had polk db 6.5 components installed in front tweeter in stock local and just polk db's in the bar but they shake like hell, when powered by after market amp.....100 times better than stock, i did leave the stock radio in place to keep the thieves away. i did not want to dismantle the dash and worry about where to mount the crossovers so i had the guys at work do it for me...its nice.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up and pics
It helped me a lot
Just finished replacing the front spks so thats all 4 done

Quick Reply: Front Speaker Install Write-Up