Fuel Door Installation

Fuel Door Installation

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default Fuel Door Installation

I installed a new black fuel door on my JK...here's the finished product...

The instructions were terrible...but, after looking at it...it's pretty straight forward...the only screws you will install are the "chrome" ones that attach the door to the housing.

First you need to take the gas cap and tail light assembly off then pry the rubber seal on the filler neck to unseat it. Then reach into the area where the tail light assembly was and push in the plastic clips on housing. The pic shows the plastic clips...

Another picture of it out of the Jeep...

There is a clip that is located where you can't reach it, but if you get the other 2 pushed in you can "work" the other one loose.

Once you get it removed you will need to take the cap and the rubber seal off the old housing and install them into the new housing. Then line up the filler neck with the new housing and push it on until the clips catch. Screw the gas cap back on.

The door attaches with 4 small screws...be very careful not to overtighten these screws as the head will break off very easy.

I'm no auto mechanic so...no criticism of my terminology...just a guy that loves Jeeps...

I posted this because there were a lot of people asking about the fuel door installation...hope it helps...
    Too many mods to list...check out the link for the mods and My Project JK Gallery for the pics...

http://www.jk-forum.com/member.php?u=1104

Let's Go Jeepin'

Having Fun Yet? If not...click the link...because...it's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdeS...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue X View Post
    The door attaches with 4 small screws...be very careful not to overtighten these screws as the head will break off very easy.
    Im guessing you had to find this out for yourself?? Thanks for the write up btw. It looks really good. Clear easy steps and great pics!
    Eric

2007 2 Door JK
    Black X without the lame ass "X" sticker
    6 speed with 4.10 gearing
    Magnaflow true dual exhaust

Have but waiting on install: TerraFlex 4" Lift, 37x13.50 Mickey Thompson Baha Claws.

Waiting on: 15x10 Cragar Soft 8's

Pics and audio clip of my exhaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ericdewayne View Post
    Im guessing you had to find this out for yourself?? Thanks for the write up btw. It looks really good. Clear easy steps and great pics!
    I almost broke one off...I was suprised at how cheap the screws were...I am sure MOPAR will want an arm and leg for a replacement though...
    Too many mods to list...check out the link for the mods and My Project JK Gallery for the pics...

Let's Go Jeepin'

What did the door cost? Did you get it directly from Mopar, the stealership or a third party vendor?
    '07 Wrangler Unlimited X, 4 door, Steel Blue Metallic
    AIRAID CAI, Dick Cepek Baja Laser 100's,
    Doubled Skyjacker Spacers in the Front
    Class III Hitch with 7 Pin Harness
    Jeep Slush Mats

-Liberals are against nuclear weapons but have yet to suggest a soy based substitute that can obliterate cities.
    -During the cola wars, France was occupied by Pepsi for 6 months.
    -A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."-Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by HUMONGO View Post
    What did the door cost? Did you get it directly from Mopar, the stealership or a third party vendor?
    I went to a third party and ordered them on line...I paid $89.10...MOPAR wants $99...

I am not sure if I can post the vendor because they are not sponsors of this forum...but anyone that carries MOPAR should have this door.

Let's Go Jeepin'

rescue x is right about the instructions just awful.but the install is more frustrating then hard.is post is right on and should really help you to install one.the chrome bolt do have a torque setting(the one thing thats readable on the instructions)I think i will buy some black ones and can the chrome.

p.s e-bay $72.00 4 door black mopar part #82210609
    2009 4 dr auto Sahara rock red
    airaid intake and phone holder
    mark

Nice write up. Looks quite a bit nicer than stock.
    I just have a hard time coughing up that kind of money for a small gas door.
    Seems like alot of money for what it is.
    Look what else you can get for 70.00

which also comes with

I'm sure supply & demand factor in here, but one of these things isconsiderably more complex than the other & yet still costs less.

I think it was Ron White who pointed out there are 300 dollar sunglasses. $300 bucks gets you a 25" stereo television. How good can the glasses really be?
    A Jeep a h2 and an fj40 drive into a sand bar....

JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up. My fuel door is on the UPS truck and should be here this afternoon. How long did it take you to install it? Tomorrow is my day to work on the Jeep. I also have the door sills, slush floor mats, tail lamp guards, and the Trail Guide GPS coming.

Eternal Moderator HappyCurmudgeon's Avatar

I put one on mine, it took maybe 1/2 hour total. Most of which was trying to contort my hand to get it in there to release those plastic snaps, the writeup is correct, there is one ya just can't reach (I couldnt anyhow).

I wanted it to keep the mud & ice out of that recessed hole.

Last job i drove one of those stubid chevy cube vans to job sites, it had the same type of fuel filler hole, recessed into the side like that & it was always plugged with mud. or ice. or icy mud. I would bet more than just a little ended up in the tank.
    ~Ever Onward~

CANCER SUCKS

US Air Force veteran and damned proud of it!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Thanks for the write up and the pics.

Mine should be here on Thursday (along with the tail lamp guards). My sill protectors still need to ship :sad:

The Jeep just looks more 'finished' with the fuel door IMHO.

Oh, I am getting the black one as well.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast