Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fuel Door Installation

Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx. You posted just in time.........got my door yesterday and you are correct the instructions are for $hit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	597983  
Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a great looking addition! I'll add it to my must have list.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the pictures and the information. You are right the instructions are worthless.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 AM
nextreme

Originally Posted by Rescue X
I almost broke one off...I was suprised at how cheap the screws were...I am sure MOPAR will want an arm and leg for a replacement though...
Well I did break one so now I have to try and find a replacement. Anyone else broken one?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

I'm gonna throw the instructions out and pull up this thread when I get my fuel door. Good write up and pics. Now if I can only find a thread as good as that on how to install the slush mats i'll be ok...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Quick fix

Originally Posted by nextreme
Well I did break one so now I have to try and find a replacement. Anyone else broken one?
I got my black door installed today, but not before I made a trip to the hardware store.

The screws are not "chrome", they are polished aluminum with a low profile head, 5mm x .8mm pitch.

I found stainless replacements, but not with a short head, and I couldn't find them as short as the stock screws, but they were easy to grind to length.

The top and bottom static screws also have aluminum nuts which got replaced with stainless counterparts as well. What were they thinking?

I for one do not like the look of silver screws on the black door, my JK is black with the exception of the wheels. I did however find this site http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=218 that carries black, gold and red aluminum metric socket head cap screws in 5mm x .8. I'll be ordering some black ones soon and will have lots of extras (44 to be exact), so if anyone is interested in black replacements let me know. I'll even cut them to the correct length for ya

John L
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John L
I got my black door installed today, but not before I made a trip to the hardware store.

The screws are not "chrome", they are polished aluminum with a low profile head, 5mm x .8mm pitch.

I found stainless replacements, but not with a short head, and I couldn't find them as short as the stock screws, but they were easy to grind to length.

The top and bottom static screws also have aluminum nuts which got replaced with stainless counterparts as well. What were they thinking?

I for one do not like the look of silver screws on the black door, my JK is black with the exception of the wheels. I did however find this site http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=218 that carries black, gold and red aluminum metric socket head cap screws in 5mm x .8. I'll be ordering some black ones soon and will have lots of extras (44 to be exact), so if anyone is interested in black replacements let me know. I'll even cut them to the correct length for ya

John L
Count me in on that.let me know how $$$ for my share.
thanks mark
Old 02-17-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tolh13
Count me in on that.let me know how $$$ for my share.
thanks mark
OK, just ordered the black replacement screws, when I get them in hand I'll post it here. Total including shipping was 18.55, divided by 50 pcs. is .37 each. A full set of 6 will be a whopping 2.22 plus postage (a stamp). I'd like to keep an extra set for myself, so I'll have 6 full sets for sale.
tolh13 (Mark) is in for one set, so 5 are left.

Please keep in mind the head will probably not set near flush with the outer surface of the door frame like the stock screws do (they stick up past flush about .060), and there is no fix for this other than grinding the head off, leaving the same appearance as the stock screws (silver), or making the counterbore the screw sets in deeper, easy if you have access to a machine shop, next to impossible if you don't.

If they are taller than stock, it won't be by more than about .050. Stock head height is .140, standard head height for the cap screw is about .195.

Also keep in mind if you find replacement black oxide screws, they will rust within a few days. Trust me on this, been there and made that mistake already!!

Last edited by John L; 02-17-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: hit the wrong key, old age again!!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

I'll take a set. Let me know how much to send and where you want it sent.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Motocane
I'll take a set. Let me know how much to send and where you want it sent.
OK, one set for you. I'll let everyone know the exact details once I have them.

4 sets left.

/jl

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Installation