Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech, LLC - Install

Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I am tired of getting hit with the door. Can you tell me how much force it takes to close the door?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default self tapping screws

Originally Posted by riverzendz
Why not? Please don't leave us hanging in suspense.
Self tapping screws by their very nature do not hold up well to continous side loads. The spiral coarse cutting thread works great for a fixed bracket or part that doesn't need to move, but with a side load these screws constantly work loose. Eventually they will loosen to the point where they will pull out and won't be able to be retightened. A larger screw will be needed to make everything tight again, thus restarting the cycle all over again. The main advantage for a retailer in furnishing this type of screw is that the screws are cheap. Use nutserts in the tailgate with machine screws and they will outlast the jeep.......
Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Self tapping screws by their very nature do not hold up well to continous side loads. The spiral coarse cutting thread works great for a fixed bracket or part that doesn't need to move, but with a side load these screws constantly work loose. Eventually they will loosen to the point where they will pull out and won't be able to be retightened. A larger screw will be needed to make everything tight again, thus restarting the cycle all over again. The main advantage for a retailer in furnishing this type of screw is that the screws are cheap. Use nutserts in the tailgate with machine screws and they will outlast the jeep.......
So you could just add those nutserts your talking about and improve the cooltech kit?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This "Gate Holder" was a little cheaper & the install was a breeze. Also note the special storage location...

Old 05-25-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrat350
So you could just add those nutserts your talking about and improve the cooltech kit?
yep. The only change to the kit would be the attachment screws to bolts w/ nutserts....
Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
Woods uses SS nuts and bolts on the body and SS bolts and nutserts on the tailgate. Im very happy with my Woods kit.
I hate to chime in on another sponsor's thread, but I'd like to add some detail about my kit.

My kit uses 5 threaded inserts (nutserts, rivnuts or what ever you want to call them) and a 12" long custom machined aluminum support bracket.

Here's a couple pics:

BTW, if you're looking for threaded inserts to fix other kits, give me a call. I'll be happy to sell the threaded inserts, threaded insert install tool, through bolts for the interior bracket and instructions for $25 shipped in the U.S.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I impulse bought the cool tech off e-bay and installed today. Didn't really research other options
the cool tech hardware seemed pretty stout to me and the installation looks very clean when complete. The self thread cutting screws (not spiral self tapping.. big difference... these are more like a tap and dye type fastener that cut their own thread.. my guess is close to an 8/32 cut) were a harder than normal high grade stainless steel. As mentioned earlier you need a brand new #2 high quality screw driver with a hardened tip and a forearm of a gorilla to get them screwed in because the tail gate steel is very hard and the drill hole is a hair to the small side. I ruined 3 screws getting it started but got the hang of it later, plus they provide extra screws in the kit for that very reason.
I have to say I like the final install for the $59 plus shipping.
We'll see how it holds up. Looks and feels more than adequate for the job.
I can see how the woods product should be a great fix as well and maybe a little more durable. I guess it depends how rough you are on your gate. I open mine for groceries and was tired of the wind blowing the door closed while loading.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have a link to the Woods Kit? I would like to compare the two.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jedi Knight
Does anyone have a link to the Woods Kit? I would like to compare the two.

http://www.jeepswag.com/#Jeep_JK_Tailgate_Holder_Kit
Old 06-19-2009, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

My daughter, a 22 y.o. nursing school grad, installed my Cooltech strut last Saturday. She has no mechanical aptitude at all, and did a fine job. The instructions are very good, and the product is top quality.

Quick Reply: Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech, LLC - Install