Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Gobi Roof Rack / Soft Top Flutter Fix

Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi Roof Rack / Soft Top Flutter Fix

Hello all,

As many Gobi owners have noted, when driving with the soft top up it flutters and hits the under side of the rack. This has been an annoyance to me and many others. From what I know, no one has come up with a solution to this problem yet. Yesterday I was looking at the rack and thinking that if there was some way of pushing down on the soft top to take out the slack in the material it would not flap and make so much noise. At first I thought about using some foam pipe insulators to wrap around the bars but after looking at them I could not find one large enough.

After looking at some "pool noodles" at the store I bought one and took it out to the parking lot to see if it would work... sure enough it did!

Long story short after doing some tests at highway speeds I determined that there were two main areas where the soft top would flutter and make contact (and noise) against the rack. In the pics you will see that I cut the noodle and used it in two places. The foamy material the noodle is made of is easy to work with and cuts easily with a pocket knife.

After determining that the noodle was best placed under the second bar behind where the rack "mesh" is attached and the lowest bar at the rear of the rack I cut the noodle to fit. The second bar I mentioned above sits higher than the bar at the rear of the rack. So the section of noodle placed under this bar was just wedged in while the noodle placed on the lower bar at the rear was cut down the middle allowing it to slide over the bar. This was easily done as the noodle in question was hollow in the middle. The other great thing about this noodle was that it was "gear" shaped and the edges all around it helped to keep it in place once positioned.

After I decided where to place the noodles I gave them a thin coat of black paint. I was worried the paint would eat the foam but it didn't. I only gave it one coat as I was worried the paint would flake off when the noodle was squeezed or compressed.

After allowing the noodles to dry I reinstalled them into their locations. I zip tied either side of the noodle closest to the front but didn't bother with the one on the rear as it was slid over the bar and didn't seem to move much. The nice thing about both noodles being secured is that when the rack is tilted they should stay in place.

After doing this mod today I have been out and about driving in the city and on the highway with the soft top windows on and off and I am happy to report that the "flutter" is completely gone from my JK.

Sorry if my write up isn't as clear as it could be or if my excessive use of the word "noodle" weirded you out .

Pics found below (ignore the bird poop).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030817..jpg
Views:	620
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	72358   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030821..jpg
Views:	585
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	72359   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030822..jpg
Views:	655
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	72360   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030816..jpg
Views:	866
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	72361   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030815..jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	72362  

Last edited by Northern Wrangler; 06-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM
JK Freak

More pics.

Name:	P1030820..jpg
Views:	686
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	72364   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030819..jpg
Views:	693
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	72365   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030824..jpg
Views:	659
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	72366   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030825..jpg
Views:	577
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	72367  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
JK Freak

More pics.

Name:	P1030828..jpg
Views:	602
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	72368   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030835..jpg
Views:	718
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	72369   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030832..jpg
Views:	646
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	72370   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030833..jpg
Views:	725
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	72371   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030787..jpg
Views:	753
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	72372  

Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great! I'm looking at getting a rack in the near future, and I was wondering how the soft top 'flutter' would react with the rack. pool noodles have tons of uses
Old 06-13-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm trying to think of a sly thing to say about your "fluttering noodle" but honestly, if it works, it works. I tried a similar operation from the inside with little success so I guess it's time to shove my noodle in the tight spot in back. There - I've said something sly...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you may have to check your noodle often as it may whip out unexpectedly sometimes.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Looks like you may have to check your noodle often as it may whip out unexpectedly sometimes.
Nope, I can say for sure that my noodle will stay put. I know this as I haven't stopped playing with my noodle since I found it yesterday. My wife and I have been messing around with it on the highway, in town, in public, I showed it to my buddy and his wife last night and they think it looks good and sturdy.

But seriously, I checked everything over today and its still in place and working great. It has been raining and windy here for the last 24 hours and neither noodle have moved an inch and the flutter has not been heard. I seriously recommend this to anyone with a Gobi and a soft top!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Nope, I can say for sure that my noodle will stay put. I know this as I haven't stopped playing with my noodle since I found it yesterday. My wife and I have been messing around with it on the highway, in town, in public, I showed it to my buddy and his wife last night and they think it looks good and sturdy.

But seriously, I checked everything over today and its still in place and working great. It has been raining and windy here for the last 24 hours and neither noodle have moved an inch and the flutter has not been heard. I seriously recommend this to anyone with a Gobi and a soft top!
And I always heard that sticking your noodle in strange places could get you in trouble. Turns out I've been missing out!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone come up with alternatives to the pool noodle? All I can find are the round ones which tend to roll-up and lose contact with the top. There has to be a better way and a permanent fix to this problem. It really is annoying.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Zip ties solved that problem for me.

Quick Reply: Gobi Roof Rack / Soft Top Flutter Fix