Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hard top hoist from 2x4's! DIY for cheap! :)

Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top hoist from 2x4's! DIY for cheap! :)

Well - needed to get a lift and I had some parts and spare wood lying around (2)2x4's and (1)2x8...so I came up with a hoist for pretty cheap. I only had to buy a few things like the break winch from Harbor Freight ($24) and some hardware from Lowes (prob about $30 or so). Used bicycle hooks to lift the top, a framing t-connector and patch plate for the 2x4's, 3/8" bolts and nuts, 3 1/2"x5/16 and 2"x3/8" lag screws, 1 1/4" and 3" drywall screws, some neoprene cushions attached with zip ties and a slotted rail to hang it all off of. Aside from the 2000lb break winch being SLOW to lift and lower the top - it all is pretty sturdy and works well. Not too bad for being under $55.

[IMG][/IMG]

This drop stud frame is only there so that when I hoist up just the t-frame - it forces it to level out against the bottom of it...otherwise, it wants to hang almost vertical. When the hard top is attached though, the pivot point is balanced so the whole shibang hangs level under load.

Have fun, save tons of $$ and built it yourself! Just need a saw, a drill, a tape measure and a stud finder! Project completed over the weekend.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

nice job looks good
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be the harbinger of doom here, but this looks a little scary to me. Those hooks holding the pulleys looks way too long. The top weighs 95#, add in the lumber & you're probably up to around 120# that's a 170# resultant load on the pulley at a 45 degree angle.

I also personally don't like relying on lag bolts into wood (like the hose hooks on the end). Some sort of nut with a washer would be much more reliable.
The following users liked this post:
burns197 (01-31-2022)
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowToy
I hate to be the harbinger of doom here, but this looks a little scary to me. Those hooks holding the pulleys looks way too long. The top weighs 95#, add in the lumber & you're probably up to around 120# that's a 170# resultant load on the pulley at a 45 degree angle.

I also personally don't like relying on lag bolts into wood (like the hose hooks on the end). Some sort of nut with a washer would be much more reliable.
ding-ding-ding...give the man a cigar! You're right...or so I thought too...After it was all up and complete - everything is extremely solid. The lags will not pull thru the wood - if you pre-drill all your holes, the wood won't split when you lag into it and it is extremely tough. So far as that eyeloop on a 45...I was leary too. But, I got up on the ladder and put my weight on that eyelet and it did not budge (I'm much heavier than the top and wood put together...trust me!). The only reason it bent backwards was due to the rearward pulling load from the winch. BUT, yes - you should get a short eyelet lag screw so this doesn't happen to you - that would be the only improvement. In my case though - I tested it to make sure it was sturdy and it is...I don't want my $1000 hard top crashing down to the floor and I wouldn't post something on here that would fail for someone else.

Thanks for picking up on that and allowing me to clarify my build...I should have noted that in my write-up.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I like this, gives me some ideas. I am a Tool & Die Maker, so in place of some of the wood I will use steel channel.

I know you said you tested it, and I think the hooks that contact the top will not pull out under the weight of the top. How ever I would get a better set up for the pull to hang on. As the wood dries this may not hold as well as it is right now.

I like it though, nice job!

Quick Reply: Hard top hoist from 2x4's! DIY for cheap! :)