Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hard Top Sound/ Winter / Summer Insulation

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Sound/ Winter / Summer Insulation

As many of us know the sound from inside the Jeep and the heat that comes off our our hard tops is not acceptable. So I'm just showing you a quick write up of what I have done with mine, although I have my hard top off for summer I'll show you what it looks like while its not installed. Everything I bought I got at Walmart or Home depot.

Supplies

Box Cutter/exacto blade (Walmart)
Super 77 Glue (Walmart)
Rustolium truck bed coating (Walmart)

screws (HD)

Flat mounting brackets, bendable found in the lumber department (HD)

Thin Black Carpeting, sell by the yard (Walmart)

Thin impenetrable fabric (Kinda feels like its waxed) (Walmart) No pic but its easily found rolled up in their rack of fabrics

2 big sheets of 3/4 inch Thermasheeth-3 (HD)

Instructions:

The first thing I did was spray the entire interior of the hard top black with bed liner. This was easy just tape off everything that makes sense and throw a few coats on, took probably 6 cans.

Then I started the process of making the thermal insulation. The 3/4 inch hard insulation's depth is perfect inside each of the single layer respective spots on the hard top, the 2 rear and the 2 front. Because of the way that the inside edge of the hard top between the dual layer plastic and the 1 layer is shaped you will have to cut the inside edge of all the insulation at an angle to fit flush. As you can see below I have cut the insulation to fit, and inside is flush. I'm guessing I'll have to post more pics later to explain better.

After I cut the piece to fit and I cut a sheet of the impenetrable plastic type cloth I bought at Walmart to match the piece. I then glued it using Super 77 to the insulation. The reason I did this is because if some kid was to take his pensil and shove it straight up into the black carpet it would go right through the insulation and create a big hole. Will post a pic later.

I did this to all the pieces, then I cut the carpet about 2 inches larger than all the pieces and glued it to the impenetrable hard cloth with Super 77 wrapping the extra inches around the insulation to ensure it will never come off.

Because of all the stories of everyone trying to glue stuff to their jeep and at 160 degrees it falling off I decided on a more permanent approach. I fixed the insulation after it was carpeted to the top of the Hard top. I attached brackets to the double layer portions of the hard top as to not penetrate it, then I bed linered them also.

As you can see I positioned the brackets off to the side so they are all hidden for the most part under the roll bars of the jeep.

Here is how it turned out, I was/am happy with it. Its insulating factors are far beyond what anyone could do with cloth or bed liners.

Feel free to PM me or ask any questions...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Wow!..that looks great. Its the neatest job I have seen so far. This is on my list
Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice job, just might have to do it that way as well
Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice.

How rigid is that insulation?
I remove my top by lifting straight up with my fingers spread out for stability.
I'd rather not make handprints or push right through.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya, I thought the same thing. Its pretty rigid I wanted to make sure it didn't sag if it was heated, its def a glass foam so doesn't matter how hot it gets.

But to keep from doing what your saying I put a layer of this really rigid craft cloth I found at Walmart under the carpet layer, its white and one one of the roles next to the other cloth, its almost like it is a mix of plastics and cloth. The more you layer it the more it becomes almost like a super hard plastic cloth. I have just one layer because I did the finger pressure test etc. There is no way to penetrate the carpet with that under it unless you took a knife and stabbed it. I'll post up a pick if I find some scraps laying around.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that looks great! I've been surprised at how good some of the do-it-yourself projects come out.
Here is another solution if you don't have the time to do your own headliners: HotHead Headliners. You can see them at www.hotheadheadliners.com
Several members on this forum have installed and posted about them already.
Give them a look and let me know what you think.
Mark

Last edited by mcambrose; 10-15-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the insulation on the front panels by using liquid nail foam panel glue (Home Depot). It's been in since June in the Charleston, SC sun & no movement at all.

That being said, I think the $220 for the Hotheads isn't a bad price. You can probably do the DIY version for about $40, but the finish may not be as good.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I think I'll try that. But I want to use a spray adhesive to the back of the panels to the hardtop.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dan415
As many of us know the sound from inside the Jeep and the heat that comes off our our hard tops is not acceptable. So I'm just showing you a quick write up of what I have done with mine, although I have my hard top off for summer I'll show you what it looks like while its not installed. Everything I bought I got at Walmart or Home depot.

Supplies

Box Cutter/exacto blade (Walmart)
Super 77 Glue (Walmart)
Rustolium truck bed coating (Walmart)

screws (HD)

Flat mounting brackets, bendable found in the lumber department (HD)

Thin Black Carpeting, sell by the yard (Walmart)

Thin impenetrable fabric (Kinda feels like its waxed) (Walmart) No pic but its easily found rolled up in their rack of fabrics

2 big sheets of 3/4 inch Thermasheeth-3 (HD)

Instructions:

The first thing I did was spray the entire interior of the hard top black with bed liner. This was easy just tape off everything that makes sense and throw a few coats on, took probably 6 cans.

Then I started the process of making the thermal insulation. The 3/4 inch hard insulation's depth is perfect inside each of the single layer respective spots on the hard top, the 2 rear and the 2 front. Because of the way that the inside edge of the hard top between the dual layer plastic and the 1 layer is shaped you will have to cut the inside edge of all the insulation at an angle to fit flush. As you can see below I have cut the insulation to fit, and inside is flush. I'm guessing I'll have to post more pics later to explain better.

After I cut the piece to fit and I cut a sheet of the impenetrable plastic type cloth I bought at Walmart to match the piece. I then glued it using Super 77 to the insulation. The reason I did this is because if some kid was to take his pensil and shove it straight up into the black carpet it would go right through the insulation and create a big hole. Will post a pic later.

I did this to all the pieces, then I cut the carpet about 2 inches larger than all the pieces and glued it to the impenetrable hard cloth with Super 77 wrapping the extra inches around the insulation to ensure it will never come off.

Because of all the stories of everyone trying to glue stuff to their jeep and at 160 degrees it falling off I decided on a more permanent approach. I fixed the insulation after it was carpeted to the top of the Hard top. I attached brackets to the double layer portions of the hard top as to not penetrate it, then I bed linered them also.

As you can see I positioned the brackets off to the side so they are all hidden for the most part under the roll bars of the jeep.

Here is how it turned out, I was/am happy with it. Its insulating factors are far beyond what anyone could do with cloth or bed liners.

Feel free to PM me or ask any questions...
DAMN !!! Looks great. Nice / Clean Job.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work. One question though... Why did you do the back window glass?

Quick Reply: Hard Top Sound/ Winter / Summer Insulation