Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRenegade
How does the hand winch brake work? Do you have to press a release lever or something, or can you just turn the lever the other way for a controlled lowering? If you let go of the handle does it lock? Or do you have to keep pressure on it with your hand? I just want to make sure it's easy and safe to lower.

I also noticed that most hand winches and even the electric winch in this post are supposed to be used for "horizontal use only." Has this caused a problem? Does it seem stable?
The brake winch I used is specifically designed for overhead lifting unlike some of the horizontal only models you mentioned. When you are raising or lowering the top and let go of the handle it locks in place the load does not move. Very safe setup. Check the Dutton-Lainson Company for their product info and retail sites.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's mine. It uses the Lange commercial hoist-a-top frame, with my old TJ 'boat winch' to lift it, and 'frame' to keep the top from rotating once hoisted.

Andy
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

I noticed you have the Lange. I just got it and am about to return it. Since you are using a different winch, I assume you also had problems with their cable puller?

Mine is totally unsafe when lowering, it ratchets fine and then all of a sudden without warning, will slip and freewheel a couple feet at a time — not a good thing! Luckily I never had the top on it.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed you have the Lange. I just got it and am about to return it. Since you are using a different winch, I assume you also had problems with their cable puller?

Mine is totally unsafe when lowering, it ratchets fine and then all of a sudden without warning, will slip and freewheel a couple feet at a time — not a good thing! Luckily I never had the top on it.
I didn't use the cable puller - unopened in its box. This is the hoist I had in place for my '04 Rubicon.

Andy
Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Keep it in the box! But seriously, could you tell me more about your setup? Where the winch is from, pulleys, support, etc?

Also, how did you get the Lange frame to fit across the width of your top? When I assembled mine according to their (poorly written) directions, it came up a few inches short. I can't get the other J-hook under the lip, it's not even close. They tell you to put both arms into the center T until they meet, but if you do this you come up short. I could spread them further apart, but I don't trust that, especially with the tiny screws holding it together. Do have a problem with this?

And yes, I used the matched pair of arms, not the rear arm.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

The winch is a 'boat trailer winch' (like seat belt webbing) and the pully is a boat guide pully - both from West Marine. They're lag bolted into a massive glulam beam in the garage.

I had to move each arm 0.5" out from the center of the T. The screws just prevent horizontal motion in the sleevce, they're not load bearing as such.

Andy
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Cool, can somebody give me the specific model number and place of purchase for a hand winch with brake and is rated for VERTICAL lifting? Seems hard to come by.

Also, I just want to double check how these work... To raise, I obviously just crank it, and it locks when I stop it. To lower it, I assume I just slowly crank in the opposite direction, and the brake will control and hold it as I lower, and will hold it if I stop cranking, correct? If so — great! I just don't want to get into something where I have to click a release button to ratchet down one notch at a time — and certainly don't want to run the risk of freewheeling if the button gets stuck. (aka. Lange lift)
Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Cool, can somebody give me the specific model number and place of purchase for a hand winch with brake and is rated for VERTICAL lifting? Seems hard to come by.

Also, I just want to double check how these work... To raise, I obviously just crank it, and it locks when I stop it. To lower it, I assume I just slowly crank in the opposite direction, and the brake will control and hold it as I lower, and will hold it if I stop cranking, correct? If so — great! I just don't want to get into something where I have to click a release button to ratchet down one notch at a time — and certainly don't want to run the risk of freewheeling if the button gets stuck. (aka. Lange lift)

Here's the one I bought (and is shown in my initial post). I bought it from Tractor Supply Co though, not sure if you have those around.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200331205.htm
Old 06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Smile OK,This is what I cam up with

Last edited by Ground Pounder; 06-26-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hard top measurements?

This hoist is awsome !I am about to take delivery in 20 days of my Jeep Green sahara auto dual top here in Europe. I plan on making a hoist like this for the hard top. Does anybody have taken measurements of their top so i can start making plans for placing it in my small garage? (Hard top length X width X height) How long are these metal bars that form the T?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up