Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Heated washer fluid

Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Nope. Not at all. Reason being alot of European cars have been doin this for a long time. I drive an excalade occasionly at work and it has heated fluid too.
It doesn't get hot enough to crack the glass. The other day I used it after Jeep was warmed up to remove ice on glass.

sent by rinkish with a jitterbug
The heated washer on the Escalade should be disabled. GM has recalled all their vehicles with Heated Washer Fluid. May end up with Heated (Burning) Escalade one day.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is great.
I just think that by the time the Jeep warms up, the De-icer would have melted the ice off.
I might do this.
It would be interesting to know how hot the fluid will get in the summer time. If it gets too hot, the we would have to go back to stuck..

Thanks for the pics!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine heats up pretty quick. As long as the temp guage is 1/4 warmed up I think its got heat.
If anyone else does this feel free to post ur pics.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 AM
JK Newbie

I just tackled this mod this weekend, but went a little different route. I picked up the same 6' rubber hose and white pieces, but instead of using the main radiator hose to warm the fluid I used the hose that runs from the engine block to the heater core. This hose in on the pass side of the engine. There will be two hoses there, one to supply the heater core as well as a return line. There is a big difference in the ammount of heat so make sure you get the supply side.

Great job! Thanks for saving me a ton of $$$
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by marsolek84
I just tackled this mod this weekend, but went a little different route. I picked up the same 6' rubber hose and white pieces, but instead of using the main radiator hose to warm the fluid I used the hose that runs from the engine block to the heater core. This hose in on the pass side of the engine. There will be two hoses there, one to supply the heater core as well as a return line. There is a big difference in the ammount of heat so make sure you get the supply side.

Great job! Thanks for saving me a ton of $$$
Do you remember the diameter of the hose you bought?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting! Anyone else have problems keeping passenger side wiper blade from freezing up? Stupid vent isn't close enough to the outside edges of the glass.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm definitely going to do this. Probvably not necessary most of the time here in Colorado but since it looks like I'll be moving back to Alaska this fall, it would be a nice addition for when I get there.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Very interesting! Anyone else have problems keeping passenger side wiper blade from freezing up? Stupid vent isn't close enough to the outside edges of the glass.
This may not keep the wipers from freezing, but it gets hot air to the edges of the windshield to keep ice off the glass.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too would have to ask about cracking the windshield. I don't believe the heated water to the glass would alone shatter it but if you have a chip/star/crack already there, the difference in temperature of the glass (on a really cold day) and the warm water would probably cause a crack to run on you. Just my thought cause it happened in the opposite direction to me on day. On a really hot summer day when I was washing my truck, I hit the windshield from dry with the water from a garden hose and actually saw an existing crack shoot across the windshield.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by thelouv
I too would have to ask about cracking the windshield. I don't believe the heated water to the glass would alone shatter it but if you have a chip/star/crack already there, the difference in temperature of the glass (on a really cold day) and the warm water would probably cause a crack to run on you. Just my thought cause it happened in the opposite direction to me on day. On a really hot summer day when I was washing my truck, I hit the windshield from dry with the water from a garden hose and actually saw an existing crack shoot across the windshield.
That is a definite possibility. It doesn't seem to happening to those with heated washer fluid, though.

Quick Reply: Heated washer fluid